• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Daily cronjob for ASL returns exit code 127

trialotto

Golden Pleskian
Plesk Guru
TITLE:
Daily cronjob for ASL returns exit code 127
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
applying to all
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
The cronjob /etc/cron.daily/asl returns the exit code 127​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Not sure, I presume that a previous update of AUM caused this problem.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
Cronjob exits with exit code 127​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Cronjob should not return exit code 127, this is really annoying even though the error notification can be safely ignored.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
CAUSE: /etc/cron.daily/asl refers to the non-existing /var/asl/bin/asl command.

SOLUTION: small changes in /etc/cron.daily/asl, as presented in this thread:

Issue - Daily erroro message "run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/asl exited with return code 127"
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

Note, that /etc/cron.daily/asl and /var/asl/bin/asl are supposed to be part of Atomic Secured Linux. So looks like this is an issue with third-party software.

@IgorG,

I know ........ but Plesk Team might still consider the small patch that I introduced in the mentioned thread.

Regards .......

TITLE:
Daily cronjob for ASL returns exit code 127
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
applying to all
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
The cronjob /etc/cron.daily/asl returns the exit code 127​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Not sure, I presume that a previous update of AUM caused this problem.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
Cronjob exits with exit code 127​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Cronjob should not return exit code 127, this is really annoying even though the error notification can be safely ignored.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
CAUSE: /etc/cron.daily/asl refers to the non-existing /var/asl/bin/asl command.

SOLUTION: small changes in /etc/cron.daily/asl, as presented in this thread:

Issue - Daily erroro message "run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/asl exited with return code 127"
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

ADDITIONAL INFO

ROOT CAUSE
OF THE PROBLEM: aum package update from version 5.0-0.4 to 5.0-0.5 wants to re-install (a new version of) /etc/cron.daily/asl.

RESULT: two scenario's, being

1 - when doing automatic updates, it should be the case that the default setting (read: keep install version of /etc/cron.daily/asl, do NOT overwrite it) is honoured,
2 - when running the commands apt-get update && apt-get upgrade the new version (from aum package 5.0-0.5) MIGHT be installed, depending on what you do when prompted for action (read: apply default "keep your currently-installed version" OR "install the package maintainer's version")

Plesk users opting for the "install the package maintainer's version" are certain to have this exit code 127 issue.

I am pretty sure that I did opt for the default action, but never mind.

REQUEST: bug does not have to be confirmed, it is not related to Plesk

REQUEST: issue is requested to be escalated to a patch, in which Plesk Team creates a (simple) version for /etc/cron.daily/asl that does not call /var/asl/bin/asl.

In any way, this is a problem in Atomic rule set itself (its AUM component). Therefore this issue has been reported to Atomic.

@IgorG,

But we also have the experience that the package was not automatically updated. At the moment we have set the following:

upload_2018-12-13_12-7-0.png

Unfortunately, the defective package "aum" was not updated automatically. We had to carry out the update on each machine afterwards. Thanks to this article:

Plesk administrator gets email notifications: run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/asl exited with return code 127

It was initially very difficult to locate the error because the forum was full of ASL errors. Especially if you think that all packages are installed and updated.

Back