• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DDS Experience

R

rvdmeer

Currently our servers are all dedicated in Redbus Amsterdam datacentre. Now because i dont have access to the place myself i'm wondering if DDS (virtual server) could be a solution for us. With that i'm able to perform actions like reinstalling complete servers.

I'm wondering if someone has experience with DDS.

What is DDS?

DDS stands for Dynamic Dedicated Server. Dynamic because of the possibility to migrate websites from one virtual server to another or even to a complete dedicated server without any problem and mentionable downtime! Your hosting environment is dynamically expandable; simply drag the website - with OS and all - and drop it on a physical server.

DDS offers you (amongst many others) the following advantages:
  • Maximum system performance, with guaranteed resources
    FlexDDS servers can burst above guaranteed resources for better overall performance, thanks to the latest Virtuozzo patented Fair Share technology which gives each DDS dedicated server access to unused physical resources
  • Integrated Power Panel
    The Power Panel is a powerful web-based recovery and administration tool. It is available even when your DDS server is down. With the power panel, DDS server administrator can easily perform many critical management tasks such as Backup and Restore
  • Backup/Restore on demand
    One click back up and restore your DDS to prevent data loss. Backup includes all system and user files
  • Reboot on demand
    One click Hard/Soft reboot on demand. Start/Stop/Restart can be performed at any time even when your server is down
  • Fast and reliable hardware
    Dual Xeon processors, Hardware Mirror RAID-1, minimum 4 GB RAM memory
  • Super network and advanced data centre
    Redundant network with a total capacity of 40
  • Gigabit with a 10 Gigabit connection on the Ams-IX. All servers are placed at Redbus Interhouse in Amsterdam
  • Plesk Control Panel software
    Developed for Professional Hosting Service Providers (HSP) and Corporate IT Professionals, Plesk 7.5 Reloaded provides the most complete and stable set of features in the industry

dont mind the location specs....

Approximately 95% of our own Plesk servers are based on Virtuozzo (DDS). It's easier to manage updates and allows us to maintain a consistently standardised server environment across all our servers with no hassle.

would you recommend it above a dedicated server?

and secondly, is it possible to reinstall the complete OS thru virtuozo?

For us it's much better, we can benefit from the ability to migrate Plesk installations including all clients/domains between physical servers with zero downtime ... excellent for maintenance. Server-wide backups are simple via vzbackup. All servers are consistent and can be upgraded simultaneously via the API.

Yes, you can reinstall the OS within the VPS/DDS via Virtuozzo.

Thanks for your reply, How about the load of the server?
If another customer on the same physical host has a crashing script what makes to load go up... Will that also give me problems?

If you're using DDS that means 1 VPS per physical server, so you're the only customer on the server and scripts would have to be running on your server to cause you problems. If a script on your server (VPS) caused you problems, you'd still be able to reboot it via VZPP or shell if you have access to the node.

You'd need to check what your provider offer. For us we'd consider a DDS to be a physical server containing a single virtual environment and dedicated to a single customer. We'd consider a VPS to be a physical server containing multiple virtual environments for various or the same customer. Virtuozzo, when configured correctly, can prevent one VPS from having a negative effect on another VPS.

Thats what i'm trying to figure out. I will give them a call monday. The website isnt that clear.

Ok, called with the provider and they told me the DDS contains 4 users on one physical host. Virtuozzo would prevent crashing our servers if another virtual server on the same physical server would crash.

Is this also your experience?

Like i told before we are currently running fully dedicated but i dont have access to the server itself (physical access) therefor we have a big problem if stuff is crashing.

Back