• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Seeking Advice on Alternative Backup Solutions for Plesk

jamataran

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.57_build1800231218.09 os_CentOS 7
Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing a challenge with the backup process for my sites in Plesk and I'm hoping to get some insights from this knowledgeable community.

I manage a server hosting over 200 sites, consuming nearly 1 TiB of space. I've been using Plesk's integrated backup tool, scheduled to run overnight. However, the process is not completing within the allotted time. As a result, it continues into the daytime, significantly interrupting and degrading performance.

I've attempted to mitigate the issue by lowering resource usage during the backup process, but unfortunately, this hasn't solved the problem. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experience or recommendations for an external backup tool or software. Ideally, I'm looking for a solution that:

1. Minimizes impact on the server performance.
  2. Allows for the backup to be completed within a limited timeframe (preferably overnight).
  3. Provides the flexibility to restore individual sites, emails, or subscriptions.
Any advice on software solutions or strategies that you've found effective in similar situations would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to all suggestions, whether it's a different configuration, a third-party tool, or any other workaround that could make this process more efficient.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Try excluding common cache directories and logs from your backup set to help reduce the overall footprint. Consider using a background process that doesn't use a zip approach such as Acronis (works on both Windows and headless Linux).

Back