• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Deactivating generated favicons in the domain overview

W4ru

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 (Core)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.49 Update #2
Hello!

Can I disable the generated favicons (see example) displayed since a recent update through the panel.ini?

favicon.jpeg

Many sites have favicons that are generated from Worpdress and therefore there is no physical ico file on the web. The view in Plesk is therefore confusing and annoying.

I have tried to solve this awkwardly via a CSS plugin in the browser, but I think there should be a basic change for this kind of presentation. Especially since dynamic favicons are rather state of the art...

Thanks for any advice!

Thank goodness we can disable this.

Honestly, this does nothing for UX and is more of an annoyance/burden on the server. When hosting over 50+ domains, you can see how slow it is as it tries to load the favicons for each domain.

Maybe you guys could employ a cache mechanism if it's going to be around for a while?

The icons are super small SVG graphics. They are only around 680 Bytes/icon.

If you assume 100 domains (normal would be 10 or 25) in the list on the same page that would make just 66 KB for all 100 icons if they have not yet been cached and need to be loaded anew. At a very low speed download rate of 2 MBit/s (normal would be 6 MBit or more), it would take less than 0.25 seconds to load all of them. But normally, users won't display all 100 websites on the same page, only a selection of say 25, and they have a higher bandwidth like for example 6 MBit/s. A realistic download time for all these icons is then only 0.02 seconds.

This does not consider that after the first load the browser has cached the data and will instantly display it without downloading on consecutive download requests.

When hosting over 50+ domains, you can see how slow it is as it tries to load the favicons for each domain.
If you can "see how slow it is" I recommend checking your browser and computer, because by all means it is impossible hat the icons slow down the download noticeably.

With favicons disabled the domains list (137 domains) load in a few miliseconds. With favicons I need to wait for a second o two.

The icons are super small SVG graphics. They are only around 680 Bytes/icon.

That sounds good - but it seems like Plesk is downloading the actual favicon images (.png or .jpgs) from sites that have them - specifically all of our Wordpress sites. Of course we try to optimize them, but Wordpress recommends a 500x500px image and those are generally around 25-80kb each. Multiplied by 50 sites. It's making a request to each domain and getting the image which is slowing things down.

Seems like a better approach would be to introduce these features with them disabled by default, with instructions on how to enable them.

Back