• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Default configuration for a site not managed by Plesk

James Newton

New Pleskian
Hello experienced Pleskians!

I want to manage one particular subdomain manually, with no help from Plesk.
(Perhaps this will brand me as a heretic : )

I have Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 running in Ubuntu 16.04.
  • I create DNS records for a new subdomain (sub.domain.com) but I do not use Plesk to generate any files for this domain.
  • When I visit http://sub.domain.com in my browser, I see Plesk's "Web Server's Default Page":
This page is generated by Plesk, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.​
  • I do not want this.
  • I want to understand how Plesk is intercepting the call to this subdomain that it has not been told about, so that I can intercept that interception, and set up the subdomain manually, without having to worry that Plesk might overwrite my files if I make any changes anywhere using the Plesk interface.
What files do I need to add or edit in order to point requests for http://sub.domain.com to a Node.js application that is located in the directory that I created manually for it at /var/www/vhosts/sub.domain.com?

Is this explained step-by-step in the docs somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

James

Is this explained step-by-step in the docs somewhere?
It would be strange to have an official step-by-step instruction on how not to use Plesk. We have no such kind of instruction. I do not understand why you can't use Plesk 17.5 with embedded node.js support for your purposes?

It's good that Plesk does things for me, but I like to understand things from first principles. If I can see how Plesk intercepts requests to an unknown subdomain, I should be able to follow the whole process from the beginning, and make sense of how everything works.

@ИгорьГ: просто чтобы вы знали, я удалил Plesk с моего производственного сервера) Thanks for all the fish!

Back