• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Deleted /var directory

itksystemhaus

New Pleskian
Hello,

our new PHP-programmer has deleted the /var directory on our server accidently.
Now I have the problem, that I do not have a full backup, because the server was installed only three weeks ago and I wasn't ready with the complete configuration.
We had 10 customers on this server and I have made backups for each customer, so I can upload and recover them. But I need a new Plesk-Installation.
The problem is, that in /var there was more than the www-folder. The nameserver, the mailservers, mysql and so on. I could not install Plesk because there are so many files missing. The cleanest and fastest way would be to reinstall the whole server with Plesk and then recover the customers.
But I have configured so much in Plesk and I also had our own website which I have already transferred and I have been hours working on that, but I didn't configure a backup now. I have found two folders /opt/plesk and /opt/psa
Maybe I can find the configuration there an use it?
I hope, somebody can help.

Ralph

No, these two directories are not sufficient to restore /var contents. You need to have at least a backup, else the lost content cannot be restored.

Like what Peter said, those two directories doesn't have anything to do with being able to restore your sites. I'd lick my wound and reinstall the server and restore from whatever backup you had and take this as a lesson learnt to have a full system backup done at the (like a daily snapshot if it's a virtual machine) before starting to utilize the server for productive use, so many times I've seen something like that and it could all be avoided if you started doing system level backups on day one of deployment.

Back