• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Desperate for help with Nameservers.

Cieilia

New Pleskian
I very, very, very sincerely apologize if this is long winded or hard to read. Please - please just ask for any information or clarification and I will give it as quickly as I possibly can. This has become very frustrating to me and this is the last place I know to turn.

I will preface this by saying that I am a software developer - not a network administrator. I have 0 experience with setting up DNS, no experience with nameservers, and no peers to go to for help. So this is kind of my last ditch effort.

The task of setting up a private server has, through circumstances beyond my control, fallen into my lap.

I own a domain (hereafter referred to as yyy.com) and have always used shared hosting - I buy a package and just point it to the domain nameservers they give me. It's always been simple.

Now I have purchased a Virtual Private Hosting package from GoDaddy.com - and it comes with Plesk 11.

I have no earthly idea how to begin to get the right nameserver for yyy.com. I have gone through the instructions and have wound up exceedingly frustrated.

I have 2 IP addresses from GoDaddy for the server. This is what I have so far, and I cannot tell if it is working (Since propogation takes so long, it is extremely hard to test for me)

Now after going through the documentation setup and waiting a few days, this is the setup I have - and so far it does not appear to be working. (The underlined IP are the two that are reported to me by GoDaddy as my server IPs)

(hiding the IP for privacy concerns, obviously)

IP1 : XX.XX.XX.XX
IP2 : YY.YY.YY.YY

Host Record type Value
XX.XX.XX.XX / 24 PTR yyy.com.
yyy.com. NS ns1.yyy.com.
yyy.com. A XX.XX.XX.XX
yyy.com. MX (10) mail.yyy.com.
ftp.yyy.com. CNAME yyy.com.
ipv4.yyy.com. A XX.XX.XX.XX
mail.yyy.com. A XX.XX.XX.XX
mssql.yyy.com. A XX.XX.XX.XX
ns1.yyy.com. A XX.XX.XX.XX
ns2.yyy.com. A YY.YY.YY.YY
webmail.yyy.com. A XX.XX.XX.XX
www.yyy.com. CNAME yyy.com.

yyy.com is pointing to both ns1.yyy.com and ns2.yyy.com

Can anyone give me some assistance here? I specifically chose GoDaddy because it had Plesk - and I had great experience with Plesk in the past (opposed to Helm) and I really, really wanted a Plesk environment for this new hosting situation, but this is a learning experience for me and days of documentation have left me very confused.

Last edited:
Hi Cieilia, I have same problem with godaddy Virtual Private Hosting. May I know what solution works for you? Thanks!

Back