• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

/dev/mapper/centos-home partition question

Peter_R

Basic Pleskian
Hello i just installed
ISO version of Plesk12.5 Centos 7 installer

while installing it on 310 GB drive
i selected to auto partition the drive.

then i did migration from centos 6.7 plesk 11.5
now after checking the allocation of partitions I am concern. (see attached pic)

as far as the partitioning goes all SITES are stored in /VAR partition/directory which seem to be in "root" according to the picture.

Why the spacing got badly allocated by the ISO installer?

i see /dev/mapper/centos-home which has most of the space allocated ! 240GB i wanted it to be used for websites /var

can someone tell me what happened and why it allocated partition that way ? also what is the /dev/mapper/centos-home FOR?

Please if anybody know what happens here please shed some light.

Thank you

p.s.
do i need to resize manually LVM partitions now?
partitions.png

We just take standard CentOS 7 ISO image and integrate post-script for Plesk installation. Therefore you should address all your question about partitioning to CentOS. And when you use "auto partitioning" you can see and you can check subsequent result.
I would suggest you reinstall your system with manual partitioning. In Plesk Deployment Guide you can find recommended partitioning for Plesk.

And you can use resize lvm.

Thank you for your reply
i was under the impression that Odin provided PLESK ISO Image knows what is doing? i thought it was meant for a quick and easy deployment.
You just answer few question and its being deployed on the selected drive. By selecting auto partitioning i was under the impression it knows what its doing.
Apparently it does not.

ok i will resize the partition and see if that helps

btw i assume HOME partition is not used for anything major so i can leave very little space there?

thx

Ok to update this situation i did another ISO Plesk installations and i can confirm few things.
1 - ISO INSTALLER with Plesk 12.5 Centos7 is Not recommended because it creates wrong partition allocations and wasted about 80% of storage space for Home Directory. ISO Installer is buggy and needs to be fixed.
2 - ISO Installer does not allow to create custom partitioning so there is no way to control how to partition the drive and assign own partition tables. Its an Automated Task by Installing script and there is nothing you can do.

Conclusion:
its best to Partition the drive properly using Original CentOS 7 installation, then run "One-click" plesk installer. That was working the best.

However Odin should be notified and be aware about the issue wit ISO image and have a fix applied.

if it's under LVM you can manage partitions on the fly if they're not used
so basically umount / resizefs / and mount resized file system would do in your situation

i read a lot that XFS type of filesystems you can not resize... thats new default in Centos7

p.s.
i tried to force resize and i corrupted the whole installation and had to start from a scratch. Dont recommend trying to resize XFS filesystem format.

Back