• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Did /usr/local/psa/bin/dns change in August?

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 (Core)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.54 Update #4
I have a script running some 4 years which removes a TXT-record and then adds a new one.

It used the syntax:

/usr/local/psa/bin/dns --del ${DOMAIN} -txt '' -domain ${SUBDOMAIN}

Notice the double single quotes.
I never gave it the TXT-value, but still the record was removed. I never tested if it removed all of them.

Now all of a sudden I have to add the TXT-value as well.
I already adapted my script to this new behaviour, but I don't think it should have been changed.

Isn't it more powerful to delete all subdomains when an empty string is given?

Maybe that's been done, because else it is not clear which TXT record ought to be removed. I did not find references to a change in the documentation here, bbut it will be hard to find, because "txt", "dns", and other such abbreviations exists in the thousands in the database, so very hard to search for and find the right one.

But does it not seem more plausible the way it is done now?

Before it would remove all the TXT-records.
The only way to remove one now is by giving its value...

A DKIM-record contains special characters and it's quite hard to get the proper value in a bash-variable to get it deleted.

How it worked wasn't ambiguous at all.
It doesn't/didn't do anything if you don't give any "-txt " as parameter
Previously it would delete all TXT subdomain if you gave it: -txt ''
Now it always returns with an error.

I have my own opendkim-scheme with a central DNS-server which manages 2 TXT-records.
These get a new key regularly.
These keys get distributed to all servers (private/public).

I was suddenly getting double TXT-records and because all "slave servers" saw a mismatch they threw out the keys for the domains.

I had DKIM before Plesk implemented it.
Because my system still had advantages, like those rolling keys, and I put in some effort at the time, I stuck with it.

Back