• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question DKIM Key problem - plesk without DNS

da_serpico

New Pleskian
Hello there,

i have a problem with setting up DKIM.
- strato vserver with ubuntu + plesk 12.5 with extern Nameserver from another Hoster.

I activated DKIM for outgoing Mails in the Mailserver Config. I tested it now with one Domain on my server and activated it on the Domain.
Normally would Plesk write the data like the DKIM key in the DNS Panel in Plesk. But i dont have DNS installed.
So i went to root on the server. I go to etc/Domainkeys/theTestDomain/default
This file i download to my windows pc. There i open it with notepad++ and i try windows editor.
I see the RSA private Key. Now i want to copy that to my extern Nameserver Hoster and make there a TXT for DKIM and the key.....but this dont work........must say - at the nameserver there is only one line to put the content in for the key, i have the emotion that there is a problem with copying the wordwrap. But iam at a point where some grounding is missing but i try to learn.

Iam a little new to these things, expecially not the linux pro.
Iam not sure about some questions.....
- what happen if i would DNS install in my plesk....but i think i dont need it.
- is the key file the right one ?
- how can i copy the content of the file and get it to work ?

Hi da_serpico,

pls. not that "DKIM" and "DomainKeys" are two different things. They are similar, but not equal!

Second, the correct DNS - entry for a DomainKeys - TXT - entry on your nameserver should look like this:

Code:
p=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX;

or

k=rsa; p=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Where "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" ist the complete content of the key, without the "-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----" and "-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----". Pls. make sure to eliminiate new lines from the key as well, so that
Code:
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
will result in:
Code:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

There is nothing wrong to install the Plesk DNS component on your server. It doesn't harm your server at all and makes it far easier for you, to see, which DNS settings are needed on your external nameserver, because you can copy the entries "as they are" from Plesk to your external nameserver. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i know how to write the TXT entry.....
as i said i need a way to get the key information without installed DNS in Plesk. Iam sure that cant be the only way to install DNS in Plesk for the server.

And it dont make it easier to install dns on a server that runs for while. I did it and it dont work. Next Problems .... and i dont wanted these problems because i need no dns install in plesk .... normally.

Hi da_serpico,

as i said i need a way to get the key information without installed DNS in Plesk
I'm not sure, if I understand you right here... didn't you already find the depending domainkeys - key at "/etc/Domainkeys/theTestDomain/default"? If you would like to parse the depending domainkeys - key automatically ( to a location and file of your desire ), instead of going through the suggested manual steps, you could as well write/use a script to do this for you, if you don't want to use the Plesk feature(s) for it.

i know how to write the TXT entry.....
Due to the fact, that this forum is used by quite a few people, I couldn't guess your linux knowledge, especially when you state
Iam a little new to these things, expecially not the linux pro.
Excuse me, that I have answered a bit more generous to your questions, so that other forums - users can benefit from the suggestion(s) as well. ;)

yes i found that file and thats a great part of my question is, is that file the right one ? Now you said it is.... so OK.
I download that file to my computer. I open it and see the Key. Of course i know that the "-----RSA Private Key------" section dont below to it.

So now i can manage the part of the TXT Entry. v=DKIM1; k=rsa; t=s; p=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX; !
On my Nameserver Hoster is a Backend where its easy to setup a txt entry. I only have to put the line in. But this dont work really - i tested it with a DKIM Validator. Till now, no one could tell me that i have the right file and the right key.... maybe is there another problem with copying the key or such things.

But at the Moment my Problem is bigger with DNS. As you and my serverhoster support said i should install DNS. Thats what i had maked. Now i have the problem that the DNS dont work after install and server reboot.
At Services DNS dont run. At a Domain i can now not manage the DKIM Entry for it. Or if i try to uncheck DKIM on the domain i tested it, it too brings me error messages from DNS.
So why there a such problems when installing DNS. Its not an empty server.

Hi da_serpico,

On my Nameserver Hoster is a Backend where its easy to setup a txt entry. I only have to put the line in. But this dont work really - i tested it with a DKIM Validator
Sorry, these are too less informations for investigations. We can not guess "what doesn't work".
We can't guess, if your TXT - entry is correct for the depending domain, if you don't provide informations about the complete entry ( name + value ), result is, that we are not able to investigate your questions.

You ( or other forums - users ) might be interested in using the site "http://dkimcore.org/tools/" ( External link, pls. inform me if the link goes dead, so I can provide another working link! ) for your own investigations and as well for the possibility to create depending private keys for your domain(s).

Now i have the problem that the DNS dont work after install and server reboot.
At Services DNS dont run.
At a Domain i can now not manage the DKIM Entry for it.
Or if i try to uncheck DKIM on the domain i tested it, it too brings me error messages from DNS.

So why there a such problems when installing DNS. Its not an empty server.
It is impossible for people willing to help you to solve your described issues, if you don't provide error - messages, log - entries, existing DNS - entries and your desired changes and if you don't provide informations about your steps, so that we are able to reproduce possible issues as described.
( Because you don't seem to like additional informations, as I noticed with your previous post, I renounce to post how to locate log - files and depending log - entries and I renounce as well to post correct example DNS-entries )

The DNS Problem should every guy at the moment have, which have a strato vserver with plesk. And you too know it, that the bind9 file is complete empty and the dns service could not start.(see the solution here in forum with your acting). But that other problems, finally i deinstalled DNS, because i dont need it.
But at all , i cant understand that you guys tell me - you should install DNS = that's completely negligent !

But on other Hand i know now that the file under "Domainkeys" is the right file. Thats brings me on.
In this key file is a long key XXXXXX - you tell me that is the content for TXT Entry in the line as "p=XXXXX;". But this XXXXXX in the file is too long for a normal key(its like there in you first post here, one line XXXX). At my DNS Hoster i cant!!! make such a long entry. After spoken with support and showing the key, they only tell me that the content for key is much too long and not right. He told me thats not an normally DKIM Key, much too long.

There must be someting wrong...

After spoken with support and showing the key, they only tell me that the content for key is much too long and not right. He told me thats not an normally DKIM Key, much too long.

Sorry, but your support is WRONG. Often enough, DKIM and/or DomainKeys - TXT records EXCEED the standart limit of 255 characters, because newer keys are created with 2048-bit, which leads to a up to 256-character ASCII string ( only for the KEY itself! ). Your provider should know this, if he/she doesn't... well... you might consider to change the provider for a better support and as well for a better configured DNS - server for the customers. ;)

Please be careful it seems you are talking about publishing the Private Key as DNS Entry! I think this is the reason why the entry is to long. You have to publish the domain's public key in the DNS!

Back