• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS A Record Problems

A

acer34e

I used to be a reseller with a hosting company but recently got a dedicated server with them. I have three IP addresses and want to set it up so that two are the nameservers. I have the main IP set up as follows:
<domain>. NS ns. mydomain.com.
<domain>. NS ns2. mydomain.com.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. A XXX.XX.XXX.130
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

with the domain set up as follows:
mydomain.com. NS ns. mydomain.com.
mydomain.com. NS ns2. mydomain.com.
mydomain.com. A XXX.XX.XXX.130
mail. mydomain.com. A XXX.XX.XXX.130
webmail. mydomain.com.A XXX.XX.XXX.130
ftp. mydomain.com. A XXX.XX.XXX.130
ns. mydomain.com. A XXX.XX.XXX.191
ns2. mydomain.com. A XXX.XX.XXX.192
www. mydomain.com. CNAME mydomain.com.
mydomain.com. MX (10) mail. mydomain.com.
XXX.XX.XXX.130 / 24 PTR mydomain.com.

When I enter the domain into a browser I get a Server Not Found. I did a DNS LookUp and it returned this:
How I am searching:
Searching for mydomain.com A record at m.root-servers.net [202.12.27.33]: Got referral to M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 227 ms]
Searching for mydomain.com A record at M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [192.55.83.30]: Got referral to ns2. mydomain.com. [took 262 ms]
Searching for mydomain.com A record at ns2. mydomain.com. [XXX.XX.XXX.192]: Reports that no A records exist. [took 168 ms]

Answer:
No A records exist for mydomain.com. [Neg TTL=0 seconds]

Details:
ns2. mydomain.com. (an authoritative nameserver) says that there are no A records for mydomain.com.
(mydomain.com does exist, but has no A records).

What am I doing wrong? It is a Fedora Core 3 server with Plesk 7.5 reloaded on it. DO I need to do something with the nameserver IP’s?

Thank you for any and all help. Let me know if I left anything out.

In an email with the company that hosts our dedicated server, their tech told me:

Next you need to check the Plesk manual to see how to enable DNS services on the server. When doing so you may need to enter these 2 IP addresses somewhere so Plesk knows how to manage DNS, and what IP's to use. I say may, because the Plesk manual should provide more details. You may not need to tell it what IP's you want to use since they are already assigned to the server by our data center.

I couldn't find anything regarding this in the Plesk manual.

I run a setup like this. The big questions are

1. Is Plesk seeing both IPs on your server?
2. Have you told your registrar the name and IPs of your DNS servers?
3. Check your firewall. Is port 53 is open to all traffic? Had a firewall open to just to UDP on 53 but that caused problems so I opened it to all traffic.

1.Plesk is seeing all of the IP addresses. Under Server>IP Addresses they are all listed:
IP Address Subnet Mask Interface Clients Hosting
XXX.XX.XXX.130 255.255.255.0 eth0 19 29
XXX.XX.XXX.191 255.255.255.0 eth0 1 0
XXX.XX.XXX.192 255.255.255.0 eth0 1 0
2.Godaddy is my registrar and under Domain Host Summary it is set up as follows:
NS2.mydomain.COM
XXX.XX.XXX.192
NS.mydomain.COM
XXX.XX.XXX.191
the DNS lookup shows that is working somewhat.
3.I'm going to check that right now.

Port 53 is open to both tcp and udp traffic, but it doesn't show up when I do a port scan of the server:
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

Scan
Open TCP Port: 22 ssh
Open TCP Port: 25 smtp
Open TCP Port: 80 http

Back