• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS and nameservers

A

athina

Hello!

I am a newbie on using plesk and I am totally confused regrading nameservers and DNS issues.

Here is the situtation
I have installed plesk 7.5.6 for windows in order to be able to provide hosting services.
At the moment there is only 1 ip for this server
193.x.x.x
More Ips could be added if this is needed

In the same network there are two nameservers
ns1.mysite.gr 193.x.x.x
ns2.mystite.gr 194.x.x.x

Both nameservers point to different machines and not to the Plesk server and are currently used to serve some domains

My question is
should I install nameservers on the plesk machine and use them as nameservers for the new plesk domains?

Or I could use the existing nameservers? In this case I should create manually all the entries that are created in the plesk DNS settings?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

To use plesks built in DNS server you would need to do the following ...

1. Get a second IP for your server.
2. Register a domain for the DNS address's, with your domain registrar. Eg mydnsdomain.com
2. Setup ns1.mydnsdomain.com (first IP) and ns2.mydnsdomain.com (second IP) with your domain registrar.
3. Change the dns servers for mydnsdomain.com to ns1.mydnsdomain.com and ns2.mydnsdomain.com
4. Change the dns servers for the domain(s) you would like to host to the same.
5. Add the mydnsdomain.com domain to plesk, then view the DNS page for the domain and add A records for ns1.mydnsdomain.com and ns2.mydnsdomain.com
6. Add the domain(s) you would like to host to plesk, you dont need to edit the DNS for these.

It will take a couple of days for the DNS to proporgate once you have set everything up.

Back