• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue DNS Errors, Fix Name Servers (ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED)

Rycast

New Pleskian
Hey everyone. I co-own a dedicated server with a bunch of domains on it. It's running Plesk 12.5.30.

I was told by my host to use "ns1.saber-scorpion.com" and "ns2.saber-scorpion.com" for all the domains.

All of the domains already point to these name servers on the registrar side (GoDaddy, etc.)

However, we never changed the Plesk DNS template, so the domains in Plesk apparently pointed to incorrect name servers (ns.[domain].com). They were working fine for a long time (somehow), but now I get an "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED" error every time I try to visit a site on the server. (Oddly enough, the sites still work if you change your PC's TCP/IP settings to use the Google Public DNS...)

I have changed the main hosted domain (saber-scorpion.com) to have NS records of "ns1.saber-scorpion.com." and "ns2.saber-scorpion.com.". I also added "A" records with the same value, pointing to the server's IP address:

delete02.jpg

Previously, the domain had the NS and A records set to "ns.saber-scorpion.com." and I got errors when I ran a report on https://intodns.com/saber-scorpion.com

I made the changes this morning. The domains are still not resolving. I hope it just takes a little while.

Using rycast.com as an example (another domain on the server), I still get errors when I run https://intodns.com/rycast.com ... because I haven't changed the NS and A records on that domain:

delete03.jpg

1. For rycast.com and other domains, should I change both NS and A records to be exactly the same as the ones for saber-scorpion.com?

If so, can I change the DNS template and then apply those changes to the existing domains? Should I change the "A" records in the template, or just the NS records? Here is the current template - I only changed the NS records:

delete01.jpg

2. Also, do I just change the "A" and "NS" records, or the "AAAA" (<ipv6.dns>) record as well?

3. How will this affect subdomains and aliases?

I found a thread on this forum that helped, but it didn't address the issue of what to do with hosted domains that already exist (before changing the DNS template), which are NOT the main hosted domain. These domains already have "A" records pointing to their respective domains - for example "ns.rycast.com". This topic seemed to imply that if you change the "NS" records in the template, any new domains will already have the correct "A" records.

I've attached some screenshots that will hopefully clarify what I'm talking about.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Rycast! You wrote your problem in very detail which is good to suggest you solution accordingly. err_name_resolution_failed is actually domain name related problem. DNS (Domain Name System) is responsible for resolving domains, and every domain has a name server, which make it possible for the DNS’s to resolve Domain Names. There are a lot of reasons behind this error may it due to mis-configuration on your computer or router OR it could be an issue with the website you’re trying to visit which may be down.

Back