• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue DNS issues

Jagresto

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian V. 18.0.44
I'm sure this has been discussed, but i can't seem to figure out DNS issues.. Domains registered on GODADDY, I've created and applied name servers but it never resolves to IP. I can use godaddy nameservers and get it to connect to server, but then I can't get email to work. Anyone help me with this? Basically im using a Cloud server with Plesk Obsidian hosted by IONOS.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but i can't seem to figure out DNS issues.. Domains registered on GODADDY, I've created and applied name servers but it never resolves to IP. I can use godaddy nameservers and get it to connect to server, but then I can't get email to work. Anyone help me with this? Basically im using a Cloud server with Plesk Obsidian hosted by IONOS.
Hi, can you share your domain name or setup of dns records so we can verify what's going wrong? We can't help you without any information.

One domain that's has name servers I created pointing at server IP - methbilly.com

Domain that's using GoDaddy name servers with records pointing at my server- wswarrior.com

These are the default records recreated in Plesk by the "Domain connect" extension. I'm not sure if the auto created records by plesk are the issue or something I'm missing through godaddy.
It's been a really long time since I've done any DNS stuff, figured it wouldn't be to bad to figure it out.

plesk.jpg
godaddy.jpg

@Jagresto You're right. Those records in Plesk are auto-created. You can see the default server template by going to Tools & Settings > DNS Settings.

If you want to use ns1.methbilly.com and ns2.methbilly.com as your nameservers you need to create Glue Records via your domain registrar.
Go to Godaddy and add the following glue records.
  • ns1.methbilly.com -> [your-plesk-ip]
  • ns2.methbilly.com -> [your-plesk-ip]
I think you can follow this tutorial: how to add glue records at Godaddy. If all goes well, once these glue records are created, you domain will automatically resolve to your Plesk. After that you will be able to manage your DNS Records via your Plesk.

@Jagresto You're right. Those records in Plesk are auto-created. You can see the default server template by going to Tools & Settings > DNS Settings.

If you want to use ns1.methbilly.com and ns2.methbilly.com as your nameservers you need to create Glue Records via your domain registrar.
Go to Godaddy and add the following glue records.
  • ns1.methbilly.com -> [your-plesk-ip]
  • ns2.methbilly.com -> [your-plesk-ip]
I think you can follow this tutorial: how to add glue records at Godaddy. If all goes well, once these glue records are created, you domain will automatically resolve to your Plesk. After that you will be able to manage your DNS Records via your Plesk.

Thats where the issue I'm having is, I created nameservers (About a week ago) to my server IP and it's still not resolving.. I'm not sure if plesk is rejecting it or what..

The following command shows your plesk IP.
dig +trace +additional methbilly.com NS

Can you check if your dns(bind) service is running and is externally reachable?
Whats the output of the following commands please?
Bash:
# systemctl status bind9.service

# lsof -i | grep bind

# dig A methbilly.com @127.0.0.53

The following command shows your plesk IP.
dig +trace +additional methbilly.com NS
Huh. That doesn't work at all unless I add @a.root-servers.net.
With that, it ends with
Code:
couldn't get address for 'ns1.methbilly.com': failure
couldn't get address for 'ns2.methbilly.com': failure
dig: couldn't get address for 'ns1.methbilly.com': no more
so the glue records are probably still missing.

I did a check on https://intodns.com/methbilly.com and it seems like:
  • or your nameservers are not set correctly on your plesk
  • or your dns service is not allowing external queries
Please check if your dns service is running AND port 53 is open for public.
Telnet tells me your dns port is not responding.

Your dns port is closed. Example how your nameservers are not responding, but google theirs is:
Code:
root@server:~# telnet ns1.methbilly.com 53
telnet: could not resolve ns1.methbilly.com/53: Temporary failure in name resolution

root@server:~# telnet 66.175.234.99 53
Trying 66.175.234.99...
^C

root@server:~# telnet dns.google. 53
Trying 2001:4860:4860::8888...
Connected to dns.google.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Back