• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS migration from old to new server

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
I'm looking for a little input on the following situation.

I have a VPS of plesk (11.0.7) which I've been running on a network since the early 90's.
That network is being moved to another state. I've made a copy of the VPS and have both running at the same time for a short while. As I change the DNS settings, users will migrate over to the new server and I can shut down the old one.

However, I need to make sure that no email is lost so was thinking of using rsync to keep the two synced up in the meantime. If I do that, I need to make sure I'm not overwriting any email on the new server and that I'm picking up any existing mail that's still going to the old server.
All of this while still making sure that plesk knows about the new mail when I do the sync.
Is there a clean way of doing this or should I just change all of my DNS records, shut the old server down and let things slowly migrate on their own to the new server?

No cleaner way, however, rsync is good. and if you have changed the DNS records to point to the new server then that is good enough and you shouldnt have any downtimes at all ...

Back