• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved DNS problems after migration

p0se

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.47
Hello,

A few days ago I used the Plesk Migration tool to move my server to a new one.
After I moved the data, I adjusted the glue recors for the new DNS at my domain provider.
I also adjusted the entries on the old DNS server to the new one.
That was over 48 hours ago, meanwhile 4 days have passed.

If i ask my own and new DNS Server and check the A or AAAA record for any Domain I get correct results.
If i do a DNS Check with mxtoolbox.com I get correct results for any domain, Hostname and ip.
I get the same result with other DNS check services.

So far so good

If I now turn off the old server or the DNS service on the server, it is no longer possible to resolve all domains on the new Server.

An example
My old Server has the IP 89.22.101.123 / 2a02:2b80:1:0:5652::310
My new Server hat the IP 45.67.139.141 / 2a0e:97c0:3e2:1d1::4

If I now take a domain and do a DNS check with it, the result looks like this.
1664896058979.png

The IP of the Nameserver ist the new one 45.67.139.141.
So requests are answered by ns1.paderpro.de 45.67.139.141
If I turn off the old server with the IP 89.22.101.123 i get the following result.
1664896278973.png

This happens with all domains I have.
If the IP of the DNS is the new one, how can the old one still resolve?

Here is another problem
I have a subdomain, this subdomain is also the hostname of the server.
The subdomains are all configured the same and have their own zone.
However, with this one I get the following errors.

Code:
Primary Name Server Not Listed At Parent
ns2.vps.paderpro.de

Code:
Bad Glue Detected
Parent server gave glue for ns1.paderpro.de to be 89.22.101.123 but we resolve that hostname to 45.67.139.141 <br/>Parent server gave glue for ns2.paderpro.de to be 89.22.101.123 but we resolve that hostname to 45.67.139.141

Code:
Local NS list does not match Parent NS list
89.22.101.123 was reported by the parent, but not locally<br/>89.22.101.123 was reported by the parent, but not locally<br/>45.67.139.141 was reported locally, but not by the parent<br/>45.67.139.141 was reported locally, but not by the parent

I don't understand why the parent server still resolves the old ip here.

Seems the glue records were not correctly updated, or were still cached somewhere?
I get the new IP for vps. too.

My DNS servers had the same IP, so the entry was not taken over. However, there was also no error message.

I am having the same issue as this after migrating my server to a new one.

If I turn off old server nothing can be reached after about 1 hour.

If I turn off old server nothing can be reached after about 1 hour.
DNS propagation can take many hours. Different routers of ISPs update their tables at their own discretion. Another aspect to check is whether you have updated the responsible nameservers in the domain data sets, too?

DNS propagation can take many hours. Different routers of ISPs update their tables at their own discretion. Another aspect to check is whether you have updated the responsible nameservers in the domain data sets, too?
This was resolved, I missed the GLUE record on Google Domains :)

Back