• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Replication

T

tymbrwlf

I have two Plesk servers. My old one running Plesk 8.6.0 and a new one running 9.5.1. Both machines are Windows 2003, R2, 32-bit. Both are using the default BIND DNS service. Eventually, the old one will go away but right now, it is my primary DNS server for my hosted customers. How do I set up DNS replication between these two machines?

I've never used BIND and there really isn't any sort of server wide configuration that I can find. Would I be better off changing to MS DNS or Simple DNS (both of which I am familiar with)? Would using either of those add a configuration section to the Plesk interface? Is it a matter of editing the named.conf file?

Thanks in advance

I should note that both servers are on completely separate subnets. If I were to edit the BIND DNS files directly, would those changes be read by Plesk or would that "break" something?

Also, if I were to switch to MS DNS or SimpleDNS, would either of those read and import existing DNS zones on that server?

This is somewhat of a migration stoppage issue at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone? This has me really stumped as I have never used BIND before.

I switched to from BIND to MS DNS and I am able to create zones on my secondary nameserver and replicate the zones manually from the secondary DNS server but now I have another issue that I'm trying to resolve;

Configuration is as follows (servers are on completely separate networks) :

ns1.mydomain.com = 111.111.111.111
ns2.mydomain.com = 222.222.222.222

Both servers are running Win2003, r2, std, 32-bit

ns1 is running Plesk 8.6.0
ns2 is running Plesk 9.5.2

I have updated my DNS settings at my registrar to point ns2.mydomain.com to the IP address of my new webserver. If I create a new domain on my old webserver (ns1.mydomain.com), the DNS records are created but do not automatically replicate to the secondary DNS server even though (I think) I have setup zone transfers correctly. I know there is a TTL period but I gave it a full day and a half to see if it would replicate but it did not.

I thought it might be a firewall issue but I have opened port 53 TCP/UDP for both servers and if that wasn't correct, wouldn't it fail to replicate the zones manually also?

Please assist. I really need to get this replicating properly.

I should add that this is NOT an AD integrated DNS server. These are both standalone web servers running IIS 6

Hi
If you are migrating accounts from a server to another, you do not need any replication at all.
Migration manager will take care of updating DNS zones with your new server IP.
The only thing you have to do :
- contact your registrar to change the registred IPs for your namesever to the new server IPs
- Make sur on the dns zone of your nameserver domain, you have the right A records for ns1 and ns2!

I believe I have all of that set up correctly. It's my understanding that if I create a new domain on my primary Plesk server, it should create the DNS records in the DNS and then replicate those records to the secondary server at some point based on TTL, correct? All settings with my registrar are correct and pointing at the correct IP addresses and I obviously have the proper ports open on both firewalls otherwise I would not have been able to migrate from one server to the other.

Back