• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS using external nameserver

A

areiseek

I'm having trouble getting a domain to resolve using an external nameserver. (using 7.5.2 RH9)

I have about 25 domains working properly using my own nameserver with zone records based on posts in this forum.

Now I have a client who wants to use an outside nameserver and maintain their own records... No problem... per the manual and info from the forum, just disabled DNS on this one domain. I decided to test with a spare domain before I have my customer make any changes and I keep having a problem with the "www" address! It's been at least 3 days since I last made any changes to my zone files using zoneedit.com. If I try "testdomain.com" everthing works great... I get the testdomain default page in Plesk. But if I try "www.testdomain.com", I get the default page for MY server. I'm using a shared IP for all domains. Here's the zone record I'm using:

testdomain.com. A 111.222.333.444 (shared IP)
mail.testdomain.com. A 111.222.333.444
webmail.testdomain.com. A 111.222.333.444
testdomain.com. MX 10 mail.testdomain.com.
ftp.testdomain.com. CNAME testdomain.com.
www.testdomain.com. CNAME testdomain.com.
testdomain.com. NS ns2.zoneedit.com.
testdomain.com. NS ns17.zoneedit.com.
testdomain.com. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"

I'm a newbie... any help is appreciated. Thanks, Rick

I've seen several posts lately that say restarting psa resolves similar issues. You may want to give that a try, as your zone record looks correct.

I tried a restart... still not working.

A side question, To restart psa, I used the gui at Server>Services management and stopped and started all the services (Apache & BIND first). Was that the correct way to restart? That didn't fix the problem so late last night I rebooted the server just to make sure. Still not working this morning.

Thanks, Rick

Try changing hte www to an A record instead of a CNAME.

Also, you have to restart psa from the command line, not the gui. That restarts other services, not psa.

I changed the www to an A record on the 23rd:
www.testdomain.com. A 111.222.333.444
-still not working

just restarted PSA with this command: service psa restart
If that's correct, still not working.

I have disabled DNS, but per the manual, Plesk will make the nameserver a clickable link to validate the zone configuration... I get the following message, does it provide any clues?:

Name: testdomain.com Address: 111.222.333.444 testdomain.com nameserver = ns17.zoneedit.com. testdomain.com nameserver = ns2.zoneedit.com. testdomain.com mail exchanger = 0 mail.testdomain.com. Name: www.testdomain.com Address: 111.222.333.444 *** Ok : Domain A record is valid. *** : Must be - 111.222.333.444, now - 111.222.333.444 *** Warning: MX record does not resolve for your domain - *** Ok : Domain A www. record is valid. *** : Should be - 111.222.333.444, currently resolves to - 111.222.333.444

Thanks, Rick

I fixed it.

I removed and then re-created the domain. It started working immediately. Maybe I did something wrong the first time I created the domain??

Thanks for the suggestions, Rick

Back