• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS zone issue on upgrade to plesk 10.4.4 MU 12

burnleyvic, as I see in your support ticket this issue was not reproduced by support engineers. Recommendations of how to avoid loosing custom DNS records when upgrading to 10.4.4 have been requested and will be provided to you in ticket.
Yes Igor, there's some progress being made here. However, something must be very carefully clarified. There are *2 aspects* of this issue:
1. Plesk losing custom DNS records after the upgrade
2. Plesk adding unnecessary templated-based DNS records after the upgrade
Both behaviours are equally dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.
Also, because this is a fairly grave bug that may affect other customers too, I'd expect Parallels to make these recommendations publicly available, so that anyone else hit by this DNS zone data corruption will have the information available to be able to quickly and effectively deal with it.

Hello, burnleyvic.

Plesk Service team is working on fixing the issue. Still not sure it's possible to resolve the issue completely by micro-udpates because the bug is in upgrade script. However we will try.

To mitigate the issue we have published http://kb.parallels.com/en/113227.

Thanks for reporting. Please continue helping us to discover drawbacks in Plesk.

Hey folks, I was thinking of a slightly different workaround for the update (only):
1. Before the upgrade to 10.4.4:
- backup psa database, especially *save psa.dns_recs_t table*
- remove *all* the records from DNS zone template in the panel and add a dummy TXT record with a text like this:
"dummy entry for PP 10.4.4 upgrade"
2. Upgrade using the autoinstaller and let Plesk do its job to corrupt the existing DNS zones by adding that dummy TXT record.
3. After the upgrade is completed, restore dns_recs_t table - what do I need to restart here? sw-cp-server maybe?
4. Check the DNS zones for domains & subdomains.

Now, the questions:
Would the above work?
What will be the impact on the existing DNS configuration, other than adding the TXT record?
Will plesk try to add other DNS records (e.g. hardcoded ones) if it won't find entries in the default template for, say, MX or A records?
What else should I be aware of if going down this path?

burnleyvic,

First of all - thank you for cooperation. You really help us to research quite a serious problem and we need your help.
In previous message sergius have provided you KB article with special script - http://kb.parallels.com/en/113227
Now we need your review of results of this script. Does it really helped you or not? How it should be improved in your opinion? What should be added?
Thank you.

Hey Igor,

I looked at the script before starting the upgrade and it appears to be ok. Unfortunately I couldn't test if it covers all possible cases since the DNS template bug didn't replicate this time :/ However, *I think* it's missing an additional check, for the extra A records added after the upgrade. When we had the problem with the previous upgrade, one of the affected zones had an A record like this:
mail.domain.com A EXTERNAL_IP_ADDRESS
After the upgrade it had:
mail.domain.com A EXTERNAL_IP_ADDRESS
mail.domain.com A PLESK_SHARED_IP_ADDRESS
Which was obviously causing havoc if mail.domain.com was listed as the preferred MX for this zone :)

We were also affected by the exact same thing.
Numerous domains got their DNS changed with some of the default template settings.
And if they had external IP for MX then there was two MX records both with prio 10, (external ip and shared ip).

Is there some way of resolving this without doing a full backup restore?

Kind Regards
M

Hi, Are all those entries in the DNS Zone Template required? THanks

Hi solution is from another thread:

SOLVED the DNS BIND restarting issue one Plesk 10.4 Centos5

named.conf is located in /var/named/run-root/etc
1. backup the named.conf file
2. rename the named.conf,default file ---> named.conf
(the named.conft.default file is empty)
3. In Plesk 10.4 Tools and Setting > DNS Zone template add any arbitray NS record, and an A record, allows the updating of the DNS template therfore enabling the writing of new data to the empty named.conf file.)
4. It will ask to sync the DNS Zone template with all other zone by 'click here'

After that if you check your named.conf file, it should be accurate and the BIND should restart. It worked for me. It took 24 hours non-stop to find this solution, I hope this helps someone. Good luck.

Back