• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Do I really need "Plesk Web Admin Edition"?

tetrahall

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
linux (CENTOS
Plesk version and microupdate number
OBSIDIAN 18.0.44
Hi,
I use 2 webhosts. One of them charges about £17 monthly for the "Admin Adition" , and the other one doesn't. I am on Plesk OBSIDIAN 18.0.44 for linux (CENTOS).

I frequently use Plesk Command Line to perform various tasks. However, I occasionally log into Plesk control panel only to check email aliases. That's all. And this happens perhaps once every couple of months.

What is your advice: do I really need the "Plesk Web Admin Edition"?

You do need to retain a license to even use the various Plesk command line tools as well even if you're not logging in to the UI.

I think that's about $21 USD which is a bit high for the web admin edition. You could get it directly from Plesk for about $13 if you were looking to save a few bucks.

MarkM,
Many thanks for your reply.
I can use Plesk with the other webhost without paying anything, I just wondered why!

I'm assuming at this other host you have either a VPS or Dedicated, and that they are bundling it in as part of that service. There's a nice price break for example for a larger datacenter or host that purchases an excessive number of licenses at which point per license costs aren't that bad and it makes more sense to include them as a value added service however someone is still paying something for every Plesk license.

Thank you very much for the information.

Actually, I have a VPS with each, but the other "free" Plesk Admin host is much bigger as a company. Perhaps that is the reason.

There are at least large, well-known global providers who offer free "Web Admin SE" licenses along with their cloud hosting services. To not to give an unfair competition advantage to any company I cannot name these here or link to them, but I am sure you can find them by your own search.

[...] I frequently use Plesk Command Line to perform various tasks. However, I occasionally log into Plesk control panel only to check email aliases. That's all. And this happens perhaps once every couple of months.

What is your advice: do I really need the "Plesk Web Admin Edition"?
Thats a hard one for anybody but yourself to answer. Even if you only occasionally login to Plesk but still frequently use the CLI utilities Plesk offers it seems Plesk does add value for you. The question is, could you manage your server as easily without Plesk? If the answer is yes, well, then you don't really need Plesk :)

There are at least large, well-known global providers who offer free "Web Admin SE" licenses along with their cloud hosting services. To not to give an unfair competition advantage to any company I cannot name these here or link to them, but I am sure you can find them by your own search.
Hello, Peter, again :)
Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind should I look for an alternative provider.

Thats a hard one for anybody but yourself to answer. Even if you only occasionally login to Plesk but still frequently use the CLI utilities Plesk offers it seems Plesk does add value for you. The question is, could you manage your server as easily without Plesk? If the answer is yes, well, then you don't really need Plesk :)
Kaspar,

Thank you. Plesk is a great help, I cannot do without, as I use the commands (from root) on a daily basis.

I asked the original question out of complete ignorance. One provider doesn't charge me for the "Web Admin Edition", the other one does. So, I wrongly assumed that the "Web Admin Edition" was an optional extra. I was wondering if I could cancel it, and still use Plesk.

Now I know :)

Many thanks to all.

Back