• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Docker on AlmaLinux

SirSpuitElf

New Pleskian
Hi there, Folks!

Plesk has made the commitment to support AlmaLinux as an I believe CloudLinux Fork. This is really great! I was trying to install Plesk on a clean installation which went flawlessly. However, when I wanted to install Docker, it did not install the local Docker Host.

Question: Will Plesk support Local Docker Connections on AlmaLinux anytime soon? I am asking this because I almost rely on Docker and need a solution for Docker to work.

A workaround which I do not prefer is installing Plesk on CentOS 8, install Docker and then do an in-place migration to AlmaLinux.

The problem is that RHEL doesn't offer native support for Docker, and neither does AlmaLinux, since it is a fork of RHEL. Instead, Red Hat pushes support for Podman, an alternative to Docker.

Got it. I think CentoOS8 is not used that often and people are still on CentOS 7 or Ubuntu/Debian. This might be de reason there is low demand for now. I think it will change in the future but I’ll go for Ubuntu 20.04 then.

Hi there, Folks!

Plesk has made the commitment to support AlmaLinux as an I believe CloudLinux Fork. This is really great! I was trying to install Plesk on a clean installation which went flawlessly. However, when I wanted to install Docker, it did not install the local Docker Host.

Question: Will Plesk support Local Docker Connections on AlmaLinux anytime soon? I am asking this because I almost rely on Docker and need a solution for Docker to work.

A workaround which I do not prefer is installing Plesk on CentOS 8, install Docker and then do an in-place migration to AlmaLinux.
Sorry to hijack your thread but I too faced this localhost docker extension issue. I've currently installed this workaround on my testing server:

Hope that Plesk support this workaround by keeping the extension supported. :)

I have installed Plesk on Ubuntu Server 20.04.02 LTS where Docker is installed during the installation. Once I have Plesk installed, I downloaded the Docker extension and the localhost option is available. ;)

Just tested on Centos 8.4.2 and the Docker extension for localhost works! :)

The Docker in Centos 8.4.2 was built in and doesn't' need to be installed separately.

Back