• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Does anyone use Canonical Livepatch?

Tomek

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

does anyone use Canonical Livepatch together with Plesk? Works with Plesk without problems? Is this a good replacement for KernelCare? Is It something that you can setup and forget?

I contact support of Canonical Live Patch and he tell me there is no reason the LivePatch dont work with Plesk.
Is free for 3 server but after is 75$/year/VPS

I think I try it :)

@Tomek and @Gorgo126

Canonical Live Patch is a "good alternative", but not the best alternative, when taking into consideration the advantages of Ubuntu Advantage.

In essence, Ubuntu Advantage is much more than Canonical Live Patch ....... and that "little bit extra" makes Ubuntu Advantage the best alternative on the market.

The costs of Ubuntu Advantage can be huge and even not cost-efficient.

However, there is this option to take Ubuntu Advantage at a (relatively) small fee when adding it as an "option" on Microsoft Azure cloud and/or AWS.

Please try Ubuntu Advantage on Azure cloud, it is kind of interesting to play around with it!

Kind regards.......

PS KernelCare never has been a good alternative, since it does not provide full support for all kernels and/or is pretty useless in most VPS environments.

For information, I use Canonical Live Patch sind some days and all seem to be work perfectly !

Thanks Gorgo126 for feedback :)

PS KernelCare never has been a good alternative, since it does not provide full support for all kernels and/or is pretty useless in most VPS environments.

I wrote to Cloudlinux. This is the answer:

"Here is the list of all virtualization options and distributions supported: CloudLinux - Main | New template

This technology could be used to patch kernels for vps and dedicated servers and today we support over 225K servers worldwide."

Last edited:
@Tomek,

Try to update a kernel in a Virtuozzo container. o_O

KernelCare does not have any function, if the virtualization software is essentially "kernel-less".

Moreover
, KernelCare extension for Plesk is even that strange that in a kernel-less environment, KernelCare extension still wants to search for support of kernels and, if that support is not present, is providing the notification that the kernel (yes, that of the host system, since the virtual machine is kernel-less) is not support. Odd!

How odd?!?
Well, in simple terms, as a sysadmin you are probably shouting "WTF?!??!" ;)

No really, take it from me, even the most common kernels are sometimes not even supported by KernelCare......even if those kernels have been existing for years.

But that is not surprising: Canonical is "sitting on development" and even determines what happens to some extent.......and external parties simply follow, which makes it rather impossible to have everything covered (and to be honest, KernelCare does a good job in following, but 100% coverage is an utopia).

Regards........

(and to be honest, KernelCare does a good job in following, but 100% coverage is an utopia).

So KernelCare is never good alternative or not?

No really, take it from me, even the most common kernels are sometimes not even supported by KernelCare......even if those kernels have been existing for years.

There are quite a lot of them for me:
KernelCare Directory

What if your kernel is custom, self-compiled, special, or just old?
CloudLinux - Main | New template

Last edited:
@Tomek

So KernelCare is never good alternative or not?

This answered has to be replied to with: yes, as far it can be............

But I also want to state the following: if you are buying an OS and wanting to patch or switch components, then you also do not go to your local grocery.

Maybe your "grocery" may have everything you need, but still you want to have the expert advice or help or support from the builder or supplier of the OS!

In short, it is a second or third best alternative........and that roughly translates to "not a good alternative" in the language for sysadmins.

There are quite a lot of them for me:
KernelCare Directory

What if your kernel is custom, self-compiled, special, or just old?
CloudLinux - Main | New template

Well, this is not ALL of them...........some are missing out and that can make KernelCare useless, if your specific kernel is not supported.

The thing is also visible from that KernelCare directory: attention is being paid to everything.

The word "focus" is not the keyword and that is something that Ubuntu Advantage really has: focus to Ubuntu.

In essence, KernelCare is using "the buckshot" approach: shoot at everything, support everything............and to be honest, even though that is a bad approach, they are doing a very good job at it.

But the performance of KernelCare team or the Plesk extension is not the topic of discussion, one should always ask: are the better alternatives?

And there are............the paid-for Ubuntu Advantage OR the (free) Canonical Live Patch.

Regards...........

Back