• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Does Plesk on Ubuntu 22.04 support SELinux?

gbotica

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.54 Update #1
Previously, all my Plesk servers have been using CentOS or AlmaLinux, and I've included SELinux since Plesk began supporting it on CentOS some time ago.

I've been asked to set up a Plesk server for a client using Ubuntu 22.04, which I have done. I was suprised to see that SELinux wasn't installed as part of Ubuntu, nor by the Plesk installer. Also, when I go to the Plesk web installer, the SELinux policy is not available.

So, my question is: is SELinux supported on Plesk when running Ubuntu 22.04? Is it recommended to install it?

I'm hesitant to just go ahead to install it without some indication of it's support, necessity and reliability.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I did not find anything that SELinux would not work with Plesk on Ubuntu. The default tool for Ubuntu hardening is Apparmor, maybe that is the reason why SELinux does not automatically come with it? It can be installed though.

I suggest testing it with SELinux permissive mode and look for
# cat /var/log/syslog | grep "SELinux is preventing"
after you installed and started it and worked with Plesk for some while. If this does not give any results, probably things are good and you can set it to "enforcing" mode.

I think this is a valid question. Plesk has always been somewhat hesitant when it comes to this topic. There is almost nothing in the documentation about SElinux support.

However, there is a psa-selinux rpm for RHEL systems:

I looked at the contents of the rpm. The bash script it contains is written specifically for RHEL systems. I don't think this is adaptable for Ubuntu.
I'm afraid this will be yet another feature request. Therefore, it may take some time before SElinux for Ubuntu is adequately supported by Plesk.

Back