• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Resolved DOMAIN ALIAS - Emails not being forwarded

jenjohn

New Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

DOMAIN ALIAS - Emails not being forwarded

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Product: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.63 Update #4, last updated on Sept 4, 2024 06:28 AM

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

I was able to create a Domain Alias (with Synchronize DNS Zone with primary domain, Mail Service, Web Service, Redirect with the HTTP 301code switched on).

LONGDOMAINNAME.com is my current domain.
SDN.com is the alias.

Created DNS entry for SDN.com in Namecheap.com the same way I created for LONGDOMAINNAME.COM.

Website URL got forwarded successfully.

Emails are not getting forwarded i.e. [email protected] is not being forwarded to [email protected].

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Current domain - LONGDOMAINNAME.com has MX entries for both Google SMTP and Plesk SMTP as a couple of accounts is accessed through Google Workspace. Other accounts are accessed through Outlook from Plesk SMTP.

Create primary domain in Plesk that is accessible through DNS. Create another domain in Plesk that would be used as Alias. Make Alias domain with Mail Service, Web Service, Reidrect with HTTP 301).

When checking the mail accounts in Primary domain, they will all show that a corresponding mail account in Alias domain exists within paranthesis.

ACTUAL RESULT

Send email to [email protected], it should be received in [email protected]. This does not happen.

EXPECTED RESULT

Any emails sent to any [email protected] should be received in [email protected].

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Issue - Domain Alias - Mail not forwarded

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Answer the question

Thank you for your patience. Our team reviewed the report and according to the details provided if the primary domain with MX(1) is pointing to smtp.google.com, and domain alias with “Synchronize DNS Zone with primary domain” is configured, the MX for the domain alias will also be smtp.google.com. Thus, email send to [email protected] will be be routed to smtp.google.com, not to the Plesk server. Only if smtp.google.com fails then the MX with lower priority will be considered. If you can provide us with log of sending email to alias from email client / mta and /var/log/maillog from Plesk we will be glad to take a further look, however, at this point, we can conclude that his is the expected behavior and does not qualify as a bug

Back