• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Domain Alias - Mail not forwarded

jenjohn

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
I was able to create a Domain Alias (with Synchronize DNS Zone with primary domain, Mail Service, Web Service, Redirect with the HTTP 301code switched on).

LONGDOMAINNAME.com is my current domain.
SDN.com is the alias.

Created DNS entry for SDN.com in Namecheap.com the same way I created for LONGDOMAINNAME.COM.

I am thinking if I don't do this at namecheap.com, how will it know that where it should send the requests. Note that I am NOT FORWARDING the inptx.com at namecheap registrar.

Website URL got forwarded but Emails are not getting forwarded i.e. [email protected] is not being forwarded to [email protected]. I want to transition slowly out of LONGDOMAINNAME.com.

Checking Email accounts in LONGDOMAINNAME.com shows the alias in parenthesis. I think I configured it in Plesk correctly. or did I?

Am I doing something glaringly wrong? Would appreciate some pointers. Thanks!

Website URL got forwarded but Emails are not getting forwarded i.e. [email protected] is not being forwarded to [email protected]. I want to transition slowly out of LONGDOMAINNAME.com.
A small nuance, when a domain gets added as an alias, mail does not get forward from one domain to another. Rather both domain are able to receive email for a mailbox.

From your description it sounds like you've done the right thing. Just to be sure, did also created an MX record for your domain alias?

The MX settings also got inherited from longdomainname.com. I must add the following info to keep the overall picture clear:
longdomainname.com has several mailboxes - only one of them - [email protected] is accessible from google mail. So if somebody sends email to [email protected], that would have to be checked using outlook or some similar client. However, email to [email protected] is received at google. To make this happen, according to google instructions - I did the following:

DNS record
longdomainname.com MX(1) smtp.google.com
longdomainname.com MX(10) longdomainname.com
google._domainkey.longdomainname.com TXT v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=somelongkey
longdomainname.com TXT v=spf1 a:mail.longdomainname.com include:_spf.google.com ~all

With this setup, the drawback is if another email account within longdomainname.com sends email to [email protected], it is received ONLY in the Outlook i.e. eventhough owner is setup at google, the google doesn't receive it. The local mail server gets it first and sends it to the local folder.

ALL of the above is inherited by sdn.com from longdomainname.com.

Bumping this...This looks like a BUG in Plesk Obsidian. The Help clearly states that when forwarding domains [using domain forward feature], the emails also correspondingly forward if it is selected. However, this is NOT happening.

Where do I report a BUG? Would be happy to help in describing the whole scenario.

Back