• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain Backups and FTP Failures

risede

Basic Pleskian
Is anybody else seeing a problem with Domain Backups and FTP?

In Plesk 8.6, I had each of my clients domains backing up individually and FTPing those backups to an offsite server. This gave me 2 important things:

1) Offsite backups
2) The ability to give my customer's FTP access to their backups

In Plesk 9.0, this is all hosed. First, the backups which used to be .psa (zips) are no longer. It looks like in Plesk 9.0, the actual zip file is not created until you click on the download link, or request that the file be FTP'ed. The zip is actually created in a temp folder on the server.

So, when I ask the file to be FTP'ed, regardless of the size of the file, the file get *almost* completely transferred and then dies. On the FTP server, I am left with a "corrupt" zip file, and on Plesk, the file stays in the Server Repository and under Current Backups, I see a failure message. The failure says that a Curl timeout error has occurred.

Now I did a little digging and made a sample php program that uses Curl to FTP a file to my FTP server and another program that uses the native PHP functions to FTP the file to my server. While BOTH programs actually do complete the transfer successfully, the Curl program runs at about 60-80KB/s while the native FTP functions transfer at 250+KB/s.

My hosting company has escalated my issue to Parallels, but they have been ABSOLUTELY no help - I get "issue resolved" type responses every few days when the issue is not resolved at all. Meanwhile I have NO backups for my customers unless I run the backup and download it manually. I can't even run a batch job to download the zips because they do not exist until you request the download. I have tried escalating the problem with my host to get some sort of backup running on my server, but they have been little or no help either. I have now been waiting for almost a week to get a second drive installed on my server so that I can start imaging the main drive nightly.

At this point, I'm preparing to leave Plesk for DotNetPanel on my own dedicated server and co-locate my customers myself. With literally no support from Plesk or my hosting company, I feel like an idiot paying for any support.

OK - Before I get off on a rant here (oops too late), I'd like to ask 2 questions:

1) Is anyone else having FTP backup troubles (even if you don't do it regularly, if you have the ability to test it, I'd appreciate it)?

2) For those hosting on a dedicated server, what tools are you using to backup your drives? Acronis at $600+ (server ed.) is too expensive for me at this point. I have been looking at other imaging possibilities, but I need that second drive in order to use them.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Back