• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Dovecot limit on service imap_login question

nilsringersma_nl

Basic Pleskian
Dear forum members,

I'm experiencing a problem, after some days of investigation I can't resolve this problem. Perhaps someone can provide me with some advice, it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Machine:
CentOS Linux 7.3.1611 (Core)‬
Plesk Onyx Version 17.5.3 Update #13
imap-server: dovecot

Context:
The machine is used by a company that has 35 mailboxes which are setup in Thunderbird. Multiple computers retrieve mail with the IMAP protocol. Sometimes the clients complain about being unable to connect to IMAP briefly. I can confirm the issue through Nagios which has the same problem:

vps-xxx-managed-by.xxx.nl/IMAP login is CRITICAL:
CRITICAL: Could not connect to mobico.nl: socket error: EOF

Problem:
At the exact moment of the notifications in Nagios I can see the following entry in /var/log/maillog:

Jul 18 13:19:21 vps-xxx-managed-by dovecot: master: Warning: service(imap-login): process_limit (100) reached, client connections are being dropped.

What I've done:
In plesk UI there's an option to set
Maximum number of connections (IMAP, POP3, IMAP over SSL/TLS, or POP3 over SSL/TLS) & Maximum number of connections for a user per IP address. I've upped these to 500. However after some investigation the problem was still occuring.

When reading the error message I can see that making the setting in Plesk UI changes 'service imap' but the error in the maillog shows that imap_login service is at 100. Therefore i created a file in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/test.conf with the content:

service imap_login {
service_count = 1
process_limit = 500
}

dovecot -n output
See dovecot-n.txt , as you can see the test.conf is included.

Result:
The problem still occurs and the maillog still shows "dovecot: master: Warning: service(imap-login): process_limit (100) reached, client connections are being dropped". It seems my new limit is not working.

Edit:
I also tried enabling performance mode ( LoginProcess - Dovecot Wiki ), however this was not succesfull either. The same limit of 100 was still being shown in the maillog.

Question:
Please help!

Attachments

• dovecot-n.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back