• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Easy way to convert a subdomain into a domain?

SacAutos

Regular Pleskian
I've got a customer that has a website at hisdomain.com . He created a subdomain called dev.hisdomain.com for the new version of his website. Now he wants to take it live. Had he created dev.hisdomain.com as a subscription instead of a subdomain, it would have been easy to "rename" the old site to old.hisdomain.com and then rename the new site to the current name.

Am I going to have to move all the files around at the command line or is there an easier way to switch around the sites? The server in use is CentOS 6.6

No any possibility for switching. Only moving content manually.

Why not just use these steps, it takes only a few minutes of work:
1. Create a subdomain old.hisdomain.com
2. Use the website copying feature to copy hisdomain.com to old.hisdomain.com
3. Use website copying again to copy dev.hisdomain.com to hisdomain.com (also tick 'erase the old content').

Last edited:
Ironically yes. However, it's complicated. The old site had a WordPress blog in a subdirectory but the rest of the site was PHP/HTML. The new site is all WordPress. Having said all that, moving the files at the command line isn't that hard. I just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed something.

It should be a piece of cake. I would prefer to use Plesk instead of terminal. Just make sure you copy and do not move.

However if you export and import the WP database from one domain to another domain remember to use the same:
- WP admin user
- database table_prefix
or
Adjust the wp-config file to the new WP database that you created via plesk and when you done migrating you should test if your site it working again.
If it does not work just check the table_prefix. There was a custom table_prefix bug in Plesk and i think it has been fixed now.

Optional: do not forget to run that WP security tool but only do this after you have copied it to your new domain in case it might screw up.

Back