• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Editing Webalizer Config File

Z

zmann989

Greetings,

I realize this may be a simple question, but I am trying to edit my Webalizer config file so that it displays 40 top urls by size instead of just the top 10.

I've read the sample webalizer.conf file and i believe i understand how to edit it correctly,

i believe the correct file is in this path on my server

/usr/local/psa/etc

however when i try saving over the file with the edit one using ftp program but it say "permission denied", even when i'm using full administrator username/pass,

i realize that the command line interface is probally what i should be using to edit the file however i can't seem to find how to log-in to the CLI, is it on my Plesk control panel? or through a certain port?

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

danke

daniel

Welcome ti Plesk. Now, since the formality is out of the way, we'll begin.

First, The problem you're currently encountering is that you're trying to override a file through FTP. The reason it's failing is because that file is owned by root. Typically, root login for FTP access is denied (through configuration paramaters of proftpd). So, that's going to explain why it is you cannot override the file.

Second, with the above mentioned, you cannot be logged in as ... full administrator access ... from any ftp client. So this places me in the position to tell you you're logged as a regular user (probably one of the domains you host).

Third, to login to the CLI (Command Line Interface), you'll need a ssh client. Your server should have sshd installed. If this is a fully dedicated server and you're unaware of how to utilize the CLI for it, perhaps you should look for someone to manage the server for you. If you are familiar with the CLI, you should be able to login with a SSH client (such as putty) to port 22 (ssh).

I'd be happy to assist you in any ways possible in this minor change to your system. However, if you do not have the knowledge of how to fully utilize the CLI of a dedicated server, I highly recommend speaking directly with a few people regarding managed hosting. Drop me a privmsg via the site, or through this post, if you need anymore help.

Thank you that helps out very much,

I was able to log into my server using putty.

Although I am new to the CLI world I have been working on computers for years and am dedicated to learning this enviroment.

There is a subsection in the Plesk support manual that goes over some CLI commands, if you know of any other documentation that will help my learning process i'd appreciate it. Like I said before I'm trying to edit webalizer config file from the root.

Danke

Daniel

The Command Line Interface is quiet a bit of work. I'd recommend doing a lot of researching. Make sure to research any command prior to issuing it. The command "man" is your friend. Using things like "man dir" "man ls", etc., will get you the manual pages for these commands. Not every command has the "man" manual pages, but quiet a few of those you'll need do.

Starting with linux on a dedicated server isn't the best of ideas. I'd recommend you start locally with the CLI. Set up a small server locally that you can break and fix. This will give you the ability to figure out how things work.

I, personally, have 1 local and 2 dedicated systems. I've been doing it for quiet a while, yet I still don't know everything. You'll never stop learning, and you'll always run into a problem you want to solve. Just keep trying, you'll figure it out sooner or later.

Again, though, if you need any assistance with anything specific, I'm sure everyone else would be just as willing to help you get through it. That's what these forums are all about. The users helping the users.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and I look forward to our future conversations.

-John

Back