• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Elevate: migrate Centos 7 to Almalinux 8

JulianDot

Basic Pleskian
Based on that announcement :
Elevate
it may be possible from Plesk perspective to upgrade a server with Centos 7 and Plesk latest version to Almalinux 8 , without messing around Plesk ?

hello @JulianDot ,
notice below from link you provided
Code:
Elevate is still at an early stage of development and should only be used for testing purposes.
The migration tool SHOULD NOT be tested in production servers

Officially Plesk does not support in-place upgrade from CentOS7 to AlmaLinux8 and this procedure has not been tested.

we strictly recommend to use backup/restore or Plesk Migrator tools for moving from old OS'es to new one.

Hi,
* Centos8 in-place conversion to AlmaLinux is fully supported by Plesk, moreover, we recommend this way to get rid of Centos8 server with Plesk (Centos8 EOL soon) as it's stated in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.35 changelog: Change Log for Plesk Obsidian

* Elevate is an interesting project from AlmaLinux to convert Centos7 to AlmaLinux which is now in early development. We are monitoring the project and will help AlmaLinux team to make it smooth with Plesk if any assistance is required.

Hi,
* Centos8 in-place conversion to AlmaLinux is fully supported by Plesk, moreover, we recommend this way to get rid of Centos8 server with Plesk (Centos8 EOL soon) as it's stated in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.35 changelog: Change Log for Plesk Obsidian

* Elevate is an interesting project from AlmaLinux to convert Centos7 to AlmaLinux which is now in early development. We are monitoring the project and will help AlmaLinux team to make it smooth with Plesk if any assistance is required.
my plesk install is in proxmox container, these days I will make backup and try inplace migrate. I will inform you with the outcome.

As i wrote in similar thread

What i did:
Transferred sites to a newly purchased VPS for a month in order to not have downtime
Reinstalled the dedicated server with almalinux 8.4 + plesk
At almalinux i just updated from the default mariadb 10.3 to 10.5.
Also installed mysqltuner, rdp, cloudflare mod etc exactly as centos 8.
Migrated the sites with plesk from VPS to dedicated. Also tried one to restore from a remote backup, also succesfull
Alma is an electric cheetah as it appears and plesk works very good with it

Will try at another one the in place conversion frpm centos 8 to almalinux 8.4

Is an in-place upgrade from CentOS 7.9 to Almalinux 8.5 using Elevate now supported by Plesk ?

+1
Hope this migration path is soon fully supported as we would like to get rid of our Centos 7 Servers ... ;-)

Not yet. We plan to work on this scenario in 2022
Yay waiting anxiously for this.

I'm running Google Compute Engine CentOS7 with Plesk that was pre-setup in their marketplace as a turn-key cloud server and I really want a way to upgrade it without migrating dozens of domains.

Please now give us a "turn-key" way to upgrade these servers to AlmaLinux. :)

This is the server needing upgraded:

Plesk is still actively promoting using CentOS7 that will very soon be deprecated for their Google Cloud options. Can you tell me when this Plesk page will be updated with a few new Google Cloud options so we who are using those options can more easily get there?

Almalinux or Rocky Linux or both options would be great, please.

We're running out of 2022.

@G J Piper We have plans for updating OSes for our Google Cloud offers. At the moment, I have no ETA when it will be done.
But note that according to CentOS EOL guidance | Compute Engine Documentation | Google Cloud
  • CentOS 7 - June 30, 2024
Do you have any other information about the timing of the CentOS7 deprecation?
I'm glad we should have something soon. I just don't want to wait until June 29th and 11:59pm in 2024 to get started migrating. lol
I'm a get it done/fixed as soon as a problem is prophesied kind of guy.

Also looking forward to CentOS 7 -> AlmaLinux 8 in-place upgrade support, after all Elevate already supports it without Plesk being in the mix.

@IgorG: above @dash indicated that work would be in progress on this feature this year, but you've indicated that we should all just wait until EOL of CentOS 7 in 2024. All we're looking for is confirmation that progress really has been made on this, or to see if Plesk devs have pushed it back.

For us, the pressure is because of a pretty nasty bug in the httpd version included with CentOS 7 [Plesk tracker for it here] that, according to a text-search of the SRPM, does not appear to have been backported. Because of this and the lack of a solution available for CentOS 7, upgrading to AlmaLinux 8 seems like a solid solution... except we can't until Plesk supports it.

I realize that we could change the apache processing mode to worker rather than event, but it simply isn't as efficient in terms of resource usage, and this bug affects only select scenarios.

For all of you who are running Centos 7.9:

AlmaLinux is having a webinar about how you can upgrade from CentOS / CloudLinux OS 7 to 8 through AlmaLinux’s ELevate:

What you’ll learn:
- How to stabilize your server fleet as the expected end of life of CentOS 7 approaches.
- How ELevate supports a seamless migration.
- How you can help shape the future of AlmaLinux OS Foundation.

Who you’ll hear from:
WebPros
Developers of the world’s most popular control panel solutions – including cPanel and Plesk – WebPros supports the full life cycle of online businesses.

CloudLinux
With over 500 combined years of making Linux more secure and stable, CloudLinux is changing how hosting companies and data centers use the technology to grow their businesses and reach more customers.

AlmaLinux OS Foundation
Created and sponsored by CloudLinux, AlmaLinux is an open-source, community-owned, forever-free enterprise Linux distribution focused on long-term stability.

Back