• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Email on alias domain

Olive

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.59
Have read all the answers on this forum but don't get it.

There is an email address on example.com
[email protected]

Want to set domain example.com as an alias to main.com
But still want to receive mails on [email protected]

Have to delete example.com to add this domain as an alias to main.com
My email address [email protected] is gone.

I should use the mailboxes of main.com to get mail on [email protected] forwarded to [email protected]
But how to setup mail [email protected] ?

If possible a step by step?

Thank you.

Have to delete example.com to add this domain as an alias to main.com
My email address [email protected] is gone.
This would have been a perfect use case for the rename option. Which you could have used to rename the example.com domain to main.com and added example.com as an alias afterwards.

I should use the mailboxes of main.com to get mail on [email protected] forwarded to [email protected]
You'll receive emails sent to [email protected] in your [email protected] mailbox. It's not forwarded, it's an alias.

But how to setup mail [email protected] ?
To sent email? Just add the [email protected] mailbox to your mail client or app, and specify [email protected] as the sending email address. The exact steps depend on your email client or app.

This would have been a perfect use case for the rename option. Which you could have used to rename the example.com domain to main.com and added example.com as an alias afterwards.

Still have to do this.

If i rename example.com to main.com is this not conflicting, you can not have 2 the same domains, right?

And if i do this, the [email protected] is "moved" to the main.com if i understand well.... this should work.

btw i only need the info@example,com for receiving mails.

If i rename example.com to main.com is this not conflicting, you can not have 2 the same domains, right?
If you rename example.com to main.com and added example.com as an alias afterwards each domain is still unique. So there are no conflicts. However the main.com domain can't be already present on the server (if it is, it has to be removed first).

And if i do this, the [email protected] is "moved" to the main.com if i understand well.... this should work.
[email protected] will be renamed (converted) into [email protected].

Last edited:
If you rename example.com to main.com and added example.com as an alias afterwards each domain is still unique. So there are no conflicts. However the main.com domain can't added already on the server (if it is, it has to be removed first).

main.com is already on the server and has already a lot of alias domains.
I think here is my problem :confused:

@Olive what you could try is to rename your example.com domain to an spare (or random) domain. Like example-temp.com. Then add example.com as an alias to main.com. Next move all data from example-temp.com to main.com manually. For importing email messages you can use the Plesk mail Importing tool. Or even use command line to copy/move email messages.

Documentation of the Plesk mail importing tool can be found here: Importing Mail

Might be best to test this first on another domain to get your self familiar with all steps and features involved.

@Olive what you could try is to rename your example.com domain to an spare (or random) domain. Like example-temp.com. Then add example.com as an alias to main.com. Next move all data from example-temp.com to main.com manually. For importing email messages you can use the Plesk mail Importing tool. Or even use command line to copy/move email messages.

Documentation of the Plesk mail importing tool can be found here: Importing Mail

Might be best to test this first on another domain to get your self familiar with all steps and features involved.

Thank you for the tips.

I'm gonna try this, sounds logic to me.
Have to learn the importing tool, but will get there.

Leave the post open for a while, will close this when i succeed.

Thank you for the tips.

I'm gonna try this, sounds logic to me.
Have to learn the importing tool, but will get there.

Leave the post open for a while, will close this when i succeed.

Next move all data = only the mailsettings -box.
How to move this ?

I mean: Next move all data from example-temp.com to main.com manually.

All data must be my email address.
This is the only thing i want to move.

So previously your email address was [email protected], which now has become [email protected]. If you have added example.com as an alias to main.com, you will already receive email sent to [email protected] on [email protected]. Same applies to other mailboxes. If you previously had a mailboxes named [email protected] you will now receive email sent to it on [email protected]. If [email protected] does not (yet) exist you'll obviously have to create it to be able to receive email for [email protected]. Hope that makes sense and answerers your question? If not, let me know.

The example-temp.com domain has become redundant when after you've added example.com as an alias to main.com. (But might still contain data (website files, databases, email messages, ect) you want to keep?).

Hi Kaspar,
i did the procedure you explained me and..... working immediately!
Feels like magic.

example-temp.com can be deleted I guess?

Thank you a lot for your effort and expertise.
I appreciate this a lot, weeks of thinking and searching, solved in seconds.

I hope this conversation helps a lot of Plesk users.

Gijs.

Back