1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

EMail Service wont Start

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by averagehost, Feb 5, 2005.

1. averagehost

averagehost Guest

Hello,

I just signed up with a fresh install of PLESK on friday. Not once has the email service been able to start. Even if i try to do it in SSH it wont start. Any suggestions?

SMTP Server (QMail) starts, but IMAP/POP3 Server (Courier-IMAP) wont.

Can I use a different POP3 mail server program with PLESK? I want it integrated so my clients (friends mostly) can add their own email names and what not.

2. Ales

Ales Basic Pleskian

73%
    No, you cant use another one... It would help if you could tell us exactly what errors do you see when you try to start it and what's in the logs.

3. zraii

zraii Guest

I have the exact same problem... Brand new install of Plesk 7.5 on linux and the pop3/imap service won't start at all, what log file would even give me a clue as to what's going wrong...i looked at everything in /var/log/

4. cartoon

cartoon Guest

5. zraii

zraii Guest

That problem described in that thread is pretty much exactly what's going on with me.. except, i can't telnet to 110 at all, the service isn't running at all and it won't start... the things they suggest adding to the file (/usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/pop3d on my rh9 linux install) are already in the file at the bottom of it... i restarted plesk and everything... (i didn't change the file anyway so it shouldn't have made a difference)
    Anyway, thanks for the pointer to that thread, it looks like the same problem.

6. cartoon

cartoon Guest

The line they suggest add to (/usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/pop3d was in my installation too. But the change of the file
    /usr/local/psa/rc.d/courier-imap

change
    status "$COURIERTCPD"
    into:
    status "/usr/local/psa/courier-imap/sbin/courierlogger"

did it for me.

7. sieb@

sieb@ Guest

What's the log say when you try to start it?