• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue email setting adjustments with custom outgoing max mail

TomBoB

Regular Pleskian
scenario: server settings
subscription wide max outgoing mail: 250
domain wide max outgoing mail: 250
email address max outgoing max mail 100

clients are allowed to set lower values, but not higher values.
specific email address has higher value (200) set by server admin due to monthend accounts mail going out.

client wanted to turn on out-of-office in control panel for that email address. Can't. error message: outgoing needs to be in range of 1 to 100.

Can anyone confirm? Seems odd that a higher than the serverwide standard limit can be set but then it blocks the enabling of an out-of-office

Cheers,
Tom

EDIT: thinking about it, this appears to be a bug. Internal workings of email address settings don't appear to take into account that a server admin level (=higher then client user level) instruction is considered/valid in this case.
Have filled in a report.

Last edited:
I don't get this one. You are saying that the email address is limited to 100 mails/hour. The system responds accordingly. Why should this be a bug?

HI Peter,
the server wide setting is 100 mails/hours. However as server admin you can overwrite that and allow for a larger amount for a specific email address.

log in as admin, pick a subscription, mail, outgoing mail control, outgoing mail control link, email addresses, pick address, change limit, set something higher than the serverwide standard limit (below the doman/subscription limit), apply.

In our case, we have certain server limits. But for two clients email addresses out of the hundreds on the server, we deliberately set it higher then the serverwide standard to allow for their accounts people.

If you do that, you end up with above issue.

Can you suggest a better way of allowing a few email addresses to have a higher then standard outgoing mail limit?
THanks, Tom

EDIT: I see your pont. However in that case I (as server admin) shouldn't even be allowed to set something higher then the serverwide standard.
On the other side, seeing that an admin *is* allowed to exceed the serverwide standard, I would expect it to work and not throw an error.

EDIT2: This, together with another somewhat related issue regarding outgoing mail control for which i also filed a report, leads me to believe there currently is a flaw in the implementation of the outgoing mail control.

Last edited:
In our installations we cannot override the server wide limit. You can enter a greater number, but on the attempt to save it, the system responds:

Warning: The limit on outgoing messages for an email address (n) cannot be greater than the limit for a domain (m).

Warning: The limit on outgoing messages for an email address (n) cannot be greater than the limit for a domain (m).

Sorry Peter, please read your error message carefully again. You misunderstood me.

Scenario: tools & setting - outgoing mail control - email addresses 100, domains 250, subscriptions 250 (because we only have cases of one domain per subscription). These settings are the server wide standard.

As admin i can set the amount of allowed outgoing mails for a specific email address higher then 100 [as long as I stay below the domain limit of 250]. Lets say make it 200. Because the accounts email address of a client shovels out 180 mails in one go.
I can set that, and will not get any error.

Your error message happens if i were to set an amount of allowed outgoing mails for a specific email higher then 250, the domain limit.

Last edited:
Back