• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email Stopped Working after Failed upgrade to 8.1

S

SpidermonBob

New Debian Server w/ Plesk Installation by SWsoft Technical Support Engineer

Thu, 07 apx 2AM -- Server Stopped Working after Failed upgrade to 8.1

Thu, 07 Dec 2006 00:17:02 +0600
I filed Trouble Ticket SWsoft #238646

Response:...
Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:10:30 +0600
This situation have been checked and resolved. Plesk have been upgraded to version 8.1.0. There were some unresolved dependencies ............. Plesk have been upgraded. I have checked Plesk 8.1 and it seems everything looks fine.

My Note: The problem is SMTP Server (QMail) is still down as per Services Management screen. and Email is not working. However 8.1 is officially installed.

I sent notice to plesk-support
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:05:02 -0500 that the real problem was not fixed.

I also opened a second trouble ticket specifically for the SMTP server problem because the reap problem was not the inability to upgrade but the problem that resulted.

... since that time I have made numerous attempts to contact various people at SWsoft but as of now my clients can not send or receive email. In the last 24 hours I sent two emails to follow up on the last contact I have had concerning the problem. The following suggestions were attempted but neither solved the problem.

Sat, 09 Dec 2006 12:19:29 +0600
Hello,

You have 'inetutils-inetd' package installed. Plesk does not support it natively and thus normally it should not start at all.
But it is functional due to stale '/etc/init.d/inetd' file; because Plesk supports only 'netkit-inetd' and 'xinetd' packages on Debian it suppose that you have 'netkit-inetd' package installed:

# ls -l /etc/init.d/inetd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1764 2004-10-24 12:28 /etc/init.d/inetd
# dpkg -S /etc/init.d/inetd
netkit-inetd: /etc/init.d/inetd

And thus Plesk tries to do '/etc/init.d/inetd restart' to manage inetd. But this has no sense for inetutils-inetd.

So there are two ways to resolve your issue:
1) deinstall 'inetutils-inetd' package and install 'netkit-inetd' package back (since 'netkit-inetd' is a 'functionality' either, you may need to do it via 'aptitude' program);
2) remove stale '/etc/init.d/inetd' file and make a symbolic link to allow Plesk manage inetutils-inetd:

# rm -f /etc/init.d/inetd
# ln -s inetutils-inetd /etc/init.d/inetd

This should help. Please decide which way you can do it and let us know if there is something unclear left.

------------------------------

My Note: Right now one thing is clear the server still does not work & my customers can not send or receive Email. What is unclear is when will someone realize that having a server down is a serious issue & take care of the problem.

I am sorry for the rant, but I apparently have no other options.

Any or all suggestions would be helpful.

Problem Resolved

Here is the fix to my particular problem...

...there should be installed 'netkit-inetd' package. But you had BOTH 'inetutils-inetd' AND 'xinetd' packages (unfortunately, Debian allows you to install both of them simultaneously, that makes Plesk act wrong).

Now that this problem is resolved my level of anxiety has dropped a couple of notches.

Back