• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Enabling IPv6 in Plesk 9 on Linux?

N

natecarlson

I have Plesk 9 running on a Linux box already; I just added an IPv6 address to the machine. /etc/hosts, etc, are all set up for the v6 address, and I can communicate with IPv6 across the 'net. I can't find anywhere in Plesk that will let me detect or add IPv6 addresses, but have been told that it's supported -- what do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks! ;)

yep

I would also like to know where the support for ipv6 is...... Nothing in the docs about it either.

J

Interestingly, it looks like some of the apps on the server are actually configured without IPv6 support - ie, the Plesk-built courier-imap does not listen on IPv6 addresses.

I wonder if by 'IPv6 support' they simply mean that you can enter AAAA records via their DNS editor now?

I wouldn't doubt that they consider that "support for IPv6"... which is frankly inept - and if that is the case - it was done by a marketing gnome to entice sales people, and of course annoy tech people. Which it does, immensly. Along with updates that break further things that are already broken.

j

Interestingly, it looks like some of the apps on the server are actually configured without IPv6 support - ie, the Plesk-built courier-imap does not listen on IPv6 addresses.

I wonder if by 'IPv6 support' they simply mean that you can enter AAAA records via their DNS editor now?

I opened a ticket with SoftLayer, who opened one with Parallels.. the answer was that IPv6 is not supported yet. Heh!

In a tunnel yeah, the good news is that linux has the oldest and most mature stack out there. So mainly its an issue of the apps being (like php session keys, or DNS resolution under XP) catching up with it. The bad news is that the vast amount of infrastructure out there does it in software, rather than hardware so we're still probably 10 years out from any kind of meaningful adoption.

And yet the DNS zone editor in Plesk 9.2 does not offer me the AAAA record type. Meh.

Could you please clarify a little bit one thing - why you want IPv6 only for DNS records? What about other things like vhosts with IPv6 addresses, mail settings with IPv6 addresses, etc? In other words - how supporting AAAA DNS records only can satisfy you? If we just add AAAA support only - how it will help you? Could you please describe it a little bit?
Thank you.

Come on Parallels, another version without IPv6 support :( We can't keep using Plesk for much longer without IPv6 support. At least compile sw-cp-server and qmail with IPv6 support so we can do the rest ourselves!

Could you please clarify a little bit one thing - why you want IPv6 only for DNS records? What about other things like vhosts with IPv6 addresses, mail settings with IPv6 addresses, etc? In other words - how supporting AAAA DNS records only can satisfy you? If we just add AAAA support only - how it will help you? Could you please describe it a little bit?
Thank you.

With out ipv6 DNS support you have no way to provide DNS records for servers that do support ipv6.

This is the first step in testing and providing ipv6 products.

If it has to done in steps then web support next so I can provide full ipv6 hosting. Then the rest.

Thank You,
Jason

Back