• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Endless System Update

Ulrike

New Pleskian
I triggered system updates (11, checked on Mar 30, 2017 06:25 AM) a couple of hours ago. Since that the update is running without any actions. It's Onyx 17.017, Update #21, last updated on Mar 30, 2017 05:45 AM, Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS‬, first update is Update to 2.10.95-0ubuntu2.6 (Ubuntu for xenial-updates by Ubuntu).
Is there any way to stop and start again, or shall I until easter?

Ulrike

Hi Ulrike,

you are able to check current PID's with for example ( as user "root" over SSH ):

ps -aux

( or in your case, you might consider to limit the output with for example )

ps -aux | grep installer

It might happen, that a process doesn't finish as expected ( for what ever reason ) and you could consider to "kill" such unfinished processes, to be able to restart the desired Plesk - update/upgrade procedure. A "kill" - command would then look like:

kill -9 NUMBER-OF-THE-PID-WHICH-YOU-INVESTIGATED-WITH-THE-PREVIOUS-COMMAND

Pls. don't hesite to have a look at the corresponding installer.log, for further investigations, located at : "/var/log/plesk/install"

Hi Uwe,
the installer is a designated survivor
root 46531 0.0 0.0 16740 956 pts/1 S+ 09:17 0:00 grep --color=auto installer
root@11media:~# kill -9 46531
-bash: kill: (46531) - No such process

This process is changing it's PID pretty fast – killing by name doesn't harm it.
There is another process »pum-worker« but it's on changing PIDs too.

In panel.log I see a message at the time I started the update:
[2017-03-30 13:40:16] ERR [panel] Connection to the database server has failed because of a name clash:

and that's it for yesterday.

I triggered a Plesk update before I started system updates, worked as expected
Patches were installed successfully.
[2017-03-30 05:45:27.392674] Plesk Installer: installation time 55 sec.

The server is running fine so I'm not that very nervous
Ulrike (aus der tiefsten Provinz :)

Hi Ulrike,

root 46531 0.0 0.0 16740 956 pts/1 S+ 09:17 0:00 grep --color=auto installer
root@11media:~# kill -9 46531
-bash: kill: (46531) - No such process
You just tried to kill your own "grep" command. ;)

[2017-03-30 13:40:16] ERR [panel] Connection to the database server has failed because of a name clash:

and that's it for yesterday.
I triggered a Plesk update before I started system updates, worked as expected
[2017-03-30 05:45:27.392674] Plesk Installer: installation time 55 sec.

Suggested commands:
Code:
plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base

aptitude upgrade

Hallo Uwe,

:) I had a look into the description of ps aux … but no-one describes the columns …
so I killed
/opt/psa/admin/bin/pum --update --json -- apparmor apparmor-profiles apparmor-utils dh-apparmor docker-engine eject libapparmor-perl …

and Plesk installer … as suggested

BUSY: Update operation was locked by another update process.

In the panel.log
[2017-03-30 18:32:51] ERR [panel] The Docker service is unavailable: Connection refused

Looks as this was the reason for the failed update (I don't use a docker).
Last time an update failed was last year (dovecot) and I had to uninstall dovecot in favor of postfix.
Docker was installed automatically I guess, as I don't need it for some pretty simple 0/8/15 domains. Can I remove Docker in Plesk? And do you have an idea how to stop the "another update process"?

Finally something complicated … Ulrike

Hi Ulrike,

BUSY: Update operation was locked by another update process.
This indicates, that another process ( "apt", "aptitude", or "dpkg" ) is currently running, which locks the package and source management. Again, you should consider to display the depending process with the command "ps aux | grep apt" or "ps aux | grep dpkg" and kill the process, if you think, that it is not supposed to run right now.

Docker was installed automatically I guess, as I don't need it for some pretty simple 0/8/15 domains. Can I remove Docker in Plesk?
Sure, you could consider to use the command:

plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --remove-component docker
( pls. consider as well to remove/purge the "docker-engine" with for example: aptitude purge docker-engine )

A full list of the Plesk components could be displayed with for example:

plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --show-components --show-options

Took a while – 2 x 3000 sec after an update Plesk-is-busy-timeout.

All patches were applied.

Sound good.
Now pending system updates are processed except two – maybe as I used apt instead of aptitude. Have to update them manually.

Ulrike
Thank you for your patience! I'll be back when
Ubuntu: Unser tägliches Update gib uns heute.

Back