• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Error adding DNS record

Hi garcue,

if a new DNS record conflicts with an existing record, you can't skip the error - message. Pls. investigate your existing records and correct your new, desired DNS - record entry to proceed.

Hi garcue,

you already have an entry for "mail.<domain.com>.", as you are able to see within your screenshot. This is the standart A - entry for your domains. :)

Hi garcue,

I want to replace that entry with a cname
could you pls. explain, WHY you desire that?

Let's see what RULES you have to follow with such DNS - records ( => RFC 2181 - Clarifications to the DNS Specification )
10.3. MX and NS records

The domain name used as the value of a NS resource record, or part of
the value of a MX resource record must not be an alias. Not only is
the specification clear on this point, but using an alias in either
of these positions neither works as well as might be hoped, nor well
fulfills the ambition that may have led to this approach. This
domain name must have as its value one or more address records.
Currently those will be A records, however in the future other record
types giving addressing information may be acceptable. It can also
have other RRs, but never a CNAME RR.
If you would setup an MX with "mail.domain.com" and your "mail.domain.com" - entry would be a CNAME, you would not follow the rules, defined for worldwide standarts and other mail - servers could ( and should! ) deny the communication. ;)

Thanks for the information presented UFHH01,
The mail server is configured to work with a specific domain, the wildcard SSL certificate we have associated with that domain. My intention is to write all mail.domain.tld records as CNAME of the domain that has the Wildcard certificate. I have seen that some large hosting companies do so.

Hi garcue,

pls. feel free to configure, what ever you desire, but pls. be aware that we might not be able to help you in case of issues/errors/problems depending to your unqiue, non-standart DNS - configuration.

If you wish to use the desired CNAME - entry as described, you have to remove the existent A - entry first. ;)

Back