• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Error message on email send since update 12.0.46

Pascal - Netenvie

New Pleskian
Hi,
Since this morning we regularly get this message in boxmail of adress used to send email from server :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the mail system at host DOMAIN.fr.
I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]> (expanded from <1>): User unknown in virtual
alias table
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If i look in maillog i see that :
-------------------------------------------------------
May 18 16:48:52 SERVERNAME postfix/error[22737]: F22521B4E45: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<1>, relay=none, delay=0.07, delays=0.04/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User unknown in virtual alias table)

Just after that we can see email go normally :
May 18 16:48:59 SERVERNAME postfix/smtp[22736]: F22521B4E45: to=<[email protected]>, relay=mx3.mail.icloud.com[17.158.8.50]:25, delay=7.3, delays=0.04/0.03/2.4/4.8, dsn=2.5.0, status=sent (250 2.5.0 Ok.)

The problem is in error message (at top) the message attached is the one sent to [email protected].
So we can think the message is not sent to [email protected].

SERVERNAME, HOSTER and EMAIL@DOMAIN are here to mask real data.

Server :
An idea to solve that ?

Last edited:
Hi Pascal - Netenvie,

did you probably have an autoresponder switched on for the eMail - account? The message looks like you got an eMail for one of your accounts and the corresponding server just notifies you, that the eMail sent from your server couldn't be delivered, because there is no existent eMail - account, that you were trying to sent an eMail to.

Such a behaviour is pretty normal and has got nothing to do with the latest updates or Plesk itself. It is just an bounce - eMail - notification from the corresponding eMail - server to you.

Hi Pascal - Netenvie,

you could as well switch off such bounce messages in your mail-server - settings, so that your server doesn't respond to eMails to non-existing accounts.

These emails start appearing after last plesk update ... so perhaps there is something in update that cause that.
Whatever for now i simply search a way to stop these emails ... ;)

Ok ok.
Whatever i gone to Domains > YOUR_DOMAIN.COM > eMail > eMail - settings for YOUR_DOMAIN.COM >
I have enable mail service (Reject was already selected) and we still have these bounce message in box ...

Hi Pascal - Netenvie,

it might be, that you have to restart your mail - server manually ( normally, this should be done by Plesk, when you changed any configuration settings for it ). Please try the command:

service postfix restart
or
/etc/init.d/postfix restart
or
/etc/init.d/postfix stop & /etc/init.d/postfix start

If you still experience issues and still receive the bounce messages, please post again the current log - file and try not to shorten it. If you are afraid of posting the log with personal domain/eMail - credentials, you could post it as a private message to me for further investigations.

Hi Pascal - Netenvie,

the active queue for your eMail will result in further delivery retries and in further bounce messages. As stated in your logs:
Code:
May 21 17:07:25 69400hpv095044 postfix/qmgr[16126]: EC20B1B4E47: from=<[email protected]>, size=9750, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Try to delete the postfix queue with:

postfix -f
or
postfix flush

The mail queue can be viewed as well with "mailq" or over the Plesk Control Panel.

I have to admit, that I am bit confused with your current configuration, relays, proxy and settings and from your short log I can't investigate the origin sender for the mail to "[email protected]". Did you probably configure a blind copy for confirmation eMails from a shop to your server, while you use another relay server for delivery? It looks like you created a loop somewhere, which I couldn't find with my investigations at the moment.

My suggestion is: Flush all related queues on your several used servers and try to delete BBC(s) and or settings for confirmation-eMails to non-existing eMail-addresses. If this doesn't solve the issue(s), reboot your servers and have a look if the loop still exists in your logs.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
I know and use these commands.
All that have start very recently and nothing changed on site or server except plesk.

We have no relay or proxy and no blind copy for this email.

I will try what you said and keep you informed.

Back