• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Error: Unable to find the appropriate private key for the certificate.

Keith Binding

New Pleskian
Hello

I have my certificates from GEO trust but every time i try to upload them via plesk i get this error - Error: Unable to find the appropriate private key for the certificate.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out? Or where i can find my Keys???

Thanks

Are you using the Upload option or you clicking on Add and adding it through there?

If you have just the CRT file then you should just be able to choose it from the main SSL screen without clicking Add to upload it (although this also assumes that your private key is listed in that file as well).

How to know if your private key is part of it? It'll begin with

Code:
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----

and end with

Code:
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----

If you created your CSR from within Plesk, it would had already created the private key for you and in fact you must supply that private key when you submit your request for the cert.

If you didn't had plesk generate you the CSR (which in turn didn't generate you a private key) but instead did it directly with the cert provider (GEO Trust in this case) then they should had provided you with.

And if all you have is just the CRT and no key, then you can still generate a key using the existing cert but will also need to generate the correct csr. You can find documentation on how to do this online but https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...g-with-ssl-certificates-private-keys-and-csrs seems a bit more straight forward. Basically you'll issue the following commands:

Code:
openssl x509 \
       -in domain.crt \
       -signkey domain.key \
       -x509toreq -out domain.csr

This will create you a private key and a new CSR to use to import into Plesk with using the CRT that GEO Trust provided you with.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Back