• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Error when adding new domain- Error code 123

8figs

New Pleskian
Hello, I've been using Plesk for a while and have many domains on my server, this is the first time I am encountering this error. Any ideas?

External exception. Unable to create directory: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Error code 123) at C:\Inetpub\vhosts\domain.name\httpdocs: contains reserved device names that cannot be used as the name of a file.<br> at (RunTime::File::validateFileName line 2072)<br> at (zif_plesk_ex_create_directory line 1705)

* domain.name was removed for privacy

I didn't put in any filename, I just added a new domain and it gets stuck at the "creating physical hosting" step
I unfortunately don't have a solution for you. But I am keen to know if this happens with any domain you try to add? Or is it just on particular domain that's causing this issue?

I unfortunately don't have a solution for you. But I am keen to know if this happens with any domain you try to add? Or is it just on particular domain that's causing this issue?
It's just one particular domain, all others have been added without issue. I've also added a different domain after this particular domain without issue

Something else I tried was to add a site without the domain tied, and tie it after, that also failed

Creating physical hosting
skelmng failed: failed to copy directory C:\Inetpub\vhosts\.skel\0\error_docs\*.* to C:\Inetpub\vhosts\com1.quest\error_docs
at (VDirectory::copy line 139)
at Unable to execute console command: '--setup-skel'(vconsoleapp::start line 95)
at Unable to execute command: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\admin\bin\skelmng" --setup-skel "--vhost-name=domainhere" "--user=com1.que_2c37fg7b5m3" --skip-www-root "--email=myemailhere" "--skel-dir=C:\Inetpub\vhosts\.skel\0"'(vconsoleapp::run line 117)
(Error code 1)

Trying again I am getting Error Code 1, when previously I was getting Error Code 123

You're right. There seems to an issue with adding a domain that's named com1. Probably because that's a reserved file name on Windows. I am not sure what the best approach would be for a solution. On the one hand this looks like a Windows limitation, on the other hand any domain named com1 (or any other reserved file name for that matter) is still a valid FQDN. Are you able to contact Plesk support directly so they work with you on a possible workaround or fix (if there is any)?

This is clearly a Windows limitation. You cannot create folders in Windows Explorer either that are name the same like a device name. But it is still an interesting point, because it is not an IIS requirement that the folder of a domain needs to be named the same as the domain. I think this should be considered a product issue and have filed a report for further investigation. The internal ID is PPS-14830.

For the time being I suggest to simply choose a different document root directory name. The document root directory name does not necessarily need to be name like the domain. It can be anything else that is not a Windows device name.

It's been discussed and escalated to a product issue with ID PPPM-14108, but we should not have high hopes that this algorithm will be changed. The impact of the issue on users is marginal, because simple workarounds are available such as renaming the document root directory to another name, or creating a subcription with a fantasy domain name and adding the "device name" domain name as an add-on domain with a different document root directory, or using Plesk on Linux. Also, the number of such domains is very limited, because only a handful of Windows device names exist. Comparing this to the developments costs that will occur for creating a tailored solution for these very few cases developer hours will probably be spent better elsewhere where many more users can benefit from improved features.

Back