• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

ERROR while trying to untar named run-root directory structure

Justin Clarke

Regular Pleskian
I'm on a VPS running Plesk v10.0.1, Linux 2.6.9-023stab052.4-smp.

Whilst updating a component on Plesk it seemed to want to reconfigure a whole bunch of things. I get an error:

===> Installing and configuring Named Server

Checking for the system groups and users necessary for named (bind)...
Checking for the group 'named'...
Group 'named' already exists

Checking for the user 'named'...
User 'named' already exists

Stop running named daemon
Trying to stop service named... done
Trying to untar named run-root directory structure...
Check the error reason(see log file: /tmp/pp10.9.0-bootstrapper.101127.18.56.log), fix and try again

**** Product post-install failed.

***** problem report *****
Check the error reason(see log file: /tmp/pp10.9.0-bootstrapper.101127.18.56.log), fix and try again

To complete product installation one should run bootstrapper script:
/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp10.9.0-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

I check the log file and it just says the same message. I run the bootstrapper repair and it errors with the same message but it tells me that it's trying to find the file /usr/local/psa/tmp/run-root.tar but can't find it.

Because of this all my websites are down. I just get a page not found error on every domain.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Last edited:
If anyone can look in their /usr/local/psa/tmp for the run-root.tar file (if they have it) and give it to me then I guess this will fix the issue.

Thanks in advance!

If anyone can look in their /usr/local/psa/tmp for the run-root.tar file (if they have it) and give it to me then I guess this will fix the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Right I've fixed it!

If anyone else has this issue then here is how to fix it....

Browse to http://autoinstall.plesk.com/

And locate your correct version of Plesk and the correct version for your OS.

Mine was: PSA_10.0.1 then dist-rpm-CentOS-5-x86_64

Go into the base folder and download the package that starts "plesk-core".

Once downloaded copy to your server in the /tmp directory.

Then run the following commands:

cd /tmp
rpm2cpio plesk-core*.rpm | cpio -idv --no-absolute-filenames

This will extract a whole bunch of stuff into the /tmp directory.

Next browse to /tmp/usr/local/psa/tmp and you will find the run-root.tar

Copy this into your /usr/local/psa/tmp folder and then run the bootstrapper repair, in my case it was the following:
/usr/local/psa/tmp/bootstrapper/pp10.9.0-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

This should complete with no errors!!!

Last edited:
Dont know why it work for you, i run exactly your steps and have the same problems like before...
Kasi

P.S.
This is not the right solution - the question is, what a kind of error is it and where to fix it. The difference between us is that i run Debian 5 (Lenny)

Dont know why it work for you, i run exactly your steps and have the same problems like before...
Kasi

P.S.
This is not the right solution - the question is, what a kind of error is it and where to fix it. The difference between us is that i run Debian 5 (Lenny)

Hi,

The error will be in their update package where they don't include the file you need and assume it's already in your /usr/local/psa/tmp folder. It may well have been in there but if you empty your tmp folder (like I do each day) then it will be missing.

Anyway when you run the bootstrapper repair does it give you the same error? The same file? And the file is missing from the same folder?

Also are you trying to update to v10.0.1? Or a different version.

Did you download http://64.131.90.31/PSA_10.0.1/dist-deb-Debian-5.0-x86_64/base/plesk-core_10.9.0-debian5.0.build109101029.19_amd64.deb (for Debian 5 x64) or http://64.131.90.31/PSA_10.0.1/dist-deb-Debian-5.0-i386/base/plesk-core_10.9.0-debian5.0.build109101029.19_i386.deb (for Debian 5 i386)?

Cheers

Still happening in 10.4.4

You really need to move the "run-root.tar" out of the "/usr/local/psa/tmp" directory to somewhere else. Pretty much every time I do an update I get an error because that "tmp" directory has been cleared so the file no longer exists.

If it's such an important file that's needed in most updates then......

DON'T PUT IT IN A TEMPORARY DIRECTORY

OR

DOWNLOAD IT EACH TIME THE UPDATE NEEDS IT

I reported this well over a year ago (as you can see right at the top!). It's just frustrating because this time my panel died and I couldn't log in to 8443. I have to restart the container where I could then access the error log file that said it was to do with this error, again.

Any comments?

Right I've fixed it!

If anyone else has this issue then here is how to fix it....

Browse to http://64.131.90.31/

And locate your correct version of Plesk and the correct version for your OS.

Mine was: PSA_10.0.1 then dist-rpm-CentOS-5-x86_64

Go into the base folder and download the package that starts "plesk-core".

Once downloaded copy to your server in the /tmp directory.

Then run the following commands:

cd /tmp
rpm2cpio plesk-core*.rpm | cpio -idv --no-absolute-filenames

This will extract a whole bunch of stuff into the /tmp directory.

Next browse to /tmp/usr/local/psa/tmp and you will find the run-root.tar

Copy this into your /usr/local/psa/tmp folder and then run the bootstrapper repair, in my case it was the following:
/usr/local/psa/tmp/bootstrapper/pp10.9.0-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

This should complete with no errors!!!

I am forever in your debt.. I had an upgrade fail and your post saved my ***! Many Many Thanks!

Back