• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue errors in log about dovecot

raykai

Basic Pleskian
hi im getting some dovecot log errors:

Code:
Feb 24 21:06:34  dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, TLS, session=<q2y2S1FJ5ox/AAAB>
Feb 24 21:06:34  dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured, session=<1Z+2S1FJNJF/AAAB>
Feb 24 21:06:35  dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, TLS, session=<7Wa3S1FJLNt/AAAB>
Feb 24 21:06:35  dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured, session=<MZS3S1FJZJB/AAAB>

Just wandering if this is normal ?

Login attempt without a user name. Possibly a malware trying to login, but likely a user who has not set a user name for the login in his mail client.

im the only one that uses the mail server its showing the ip :127.0.0.1 so how can i figure out more whats going on with it ?

i have about 4 of these errors every 3 seconds in my logs. :(

Do you have a website that has the capability of checking into mailboxes? For example your own webmail software installation?

only one is the one that comes with plesk roundcube (1.2.2)

i only have WordPress and a Phpbb forum on my server for now.

when your talking about a possibility of a malware trying to login, would this malware be hosted on my server ?

Yes, it must be a software residing on localhost, else you would not see 127.0.0.1 twice in the log lines. It can however also be a mail module of some sort, for instance a software that can check bounces from newsletters or bounces from forum registration mails. That might simply be unconfigured, so that it tries to login but as the configuration data is missing, it does not know what access credentials it uses. Unfortunately I do not know phpbb well enough whether that has a bounce feature.

Back