• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Excluding folders from backup does not work (anymore)

W4ru

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Good day!

After a new installation of my one Plesk server (Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.58, last updated: Jan. 11, 2024 11:40:07)
my exclusions in backup jobs do not work. On the system until December 2023 I had exclusions under 18.0.57/18.0.56 that worked in my opinion (since it was a directory with 200GB, this would have been noticed)

An example:
Prior to the reinstallation, I had set an exclusion for a user within Nextcloud just like this:
/data/username/files and files_trashbin/* (Deleted files in Nextcloud).

Since reinstallation on 06.01.2024 and some adjustments, it is clear that these exclusions no longer work.
I then followed the instructions and changed to this form:

**/.trash/*
**/files_trashbin/*
/var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/httpdocs/cielo/data/username/files/*

Unsuccessful. Everything is stoically backed up. Tested so far with remote backup to SFTP and local backup.

Occurs with full backup as with incremental backup.

I have made some progress after finding this, among other things: Question - Exclude specific files from the backup

By replacing the server I have no definite information about what I had in the exclude list and the exclude worked.
But by try and error I have the following results:

Exclude recycle bin in Plesk
Exclude recycle bin in Nextcloud
**/files_trashbin*
Exclude all files of user "username" in Nextcloud of the domain "domain.tld"
**/domain.tld/*/data/username/files*
Exclude the folder "updater" (with random numbers) in all Nextcoud instances of the server
**/data/*/updater*
Two aspects are important, which in my opinion are not well described in the article https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...fic-files-directories-from-a-backup-in-Plesk-:

If you do not just want to exclude files, then there should not be a / at the end of the entry and there should be a * (to be on the safe side).
It is sufficient to use /*/ to address any path depth! **/ as the beginning may be necessary - perhaps / or */ is also sufficient, but I had no further motivation ;-)

Back