• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

External databases and migration manager

AlexanderPolizu

New Pleskian
Hi Guys,

We are trying to transfer some websites using the plesk migration manager. The source server have an external MySQL database and the target server have two external MySQL databases(placed on other servers). One of these external databases(db1) is configured on both source and target servers which is working fine. What we need from the migration manager is to transfer the website database(placed on db1) to the second database server(db2 and is already set as default on target plesk).

Here is the problem we face:

The plesk migration manager is trying to create the website database on the same first external db1. Sure the error is the same

Unable to create database: Database with requested name already exists

If we turn off the db1, the migration manager will create the database on the local host and not on the external default db2. Can someone help with this?

Thank you.

oooh! tricky. I can't quite understand what you are doing, but it sounds like the issue is being caused by db1 being configured on both the target and the source.

But you said:

If we turn off the db1, the migration manager will create the database on the local host and not on the external default db2. Can someone help with this?

This is interesting. I wonder why this is happening. When you say "turn off" do you mean totally remove all trace from target plesk? If that's the case then maybe this is a bug. But if you are just disabling it then maybe that's not enough (and maybe still a bug).

Anyway, as a work-around, why not allow Plesk to move the DB to local disk on target, then manually move (copy) the database to db2 once the migration has completed? I don't know the best way to do this, but maybe if you delete the DB (local) then create a new one (which will be on db2, yes?) and then import a dump of the original database contents into that "new" database?

Also do make sure that any new database you create really is created on db2. If this is not happening, maybe that's the problem? Something preventing connections to db2?

Thanks for the update, Faris. I will try as you said. Unfortunately the database records will not be displayed in the VHosts manager if I will move them manually.

Back