• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

External DNS for reseller web hosting

winman

New Pleskian
Hello,

This questing in regards to a web hosting setup using Windows Server 2012 and the latest version of Plesk for Windows (web host edition). The server will be used for hosting whitelabelled reseller accounts.

I understand that the Plesk supports 3rd party DNS providers such as GoDaddy Premium DNS or Amazon Route 53. If I go with either one of those providers for my DNS solution using Plesk, do you know if my reseller customers will be able to use their "Private Name Server" (example. ns1.theirdomain.com, ns2.theirdomain.com)?

I know the Windows OS comes with a DNS built-in, etc. I prefer "not" to host my own DNS server(s) for security, additional cost and other administrative reasons. So, I want to know if any of you out there use external DNS within Plesk successfully for the above setup?

I didn't use Windows 2012, but Windows 2008 in former times with no issues at all, using different nameservers... so the answers would be: yes and yes. :)

Yes your resellers can use private name server, for that you just need to create required dns entries in proper domains. Also you need to add same dns entries on domain registrar end.

I didn't use Windows 2012, but Windows 2008 in former times with no issues at all, using different nameservers... so the answers would be: yes and yes. :)

Thank you! Regardless of the Windows OS version that you used glad to know that using a 3rd party external DNS worked perfectly for you. Would you mind sharing what DNS provider you went with for Windows Plesk?

Yes your resellers can use private name server, for that you just need to create required dns entries in proper domains. Also you need to add same dns entries on domain registrar end.

Thanks! Although again I am glad to know that this setup will work I am little confused with your explanation. Below I am explaining what exactly I am trying to achieve all using a 3rd party DNS for my Plesk installation. Let me know if you understand it clearly and if it can be done easily. Btw, do you recommend any 3rd party DNS provider in particular?

Scenario:
My Windows Plesk server will have a whitelabelled domain/host name. Eg. server.whitelabelled.com. This server will also host all other services such as IIS/www, ftp, mail, mssql and mysql - everything locally on the same server.

I want to give option to my resellers either to use my name server or their own private labelled name servers. They can do the same to their customers (allow their customers to use the whitelabelled DNS I provide or use "private labeled name servers "targeted for their business).

Example if a reseller decides to use my name servers: ns1.whitelabelled.com, ns2.whitelabelled.com, etc
Example if a reseller decides to use their own private name servers: ns1.theirdomain.com, ns2.theirdomain.com, etc.

I guess what I am trying to achieve here is that regardless how my customer chooses to use their DNS, all domains hosted on my server should resolve for all of the afore-mentioned services - Both for them and their end customers hosting on my server.

Hello,

Yes it is possible reseller decides to use their own private name servers: ns1.theirdomain.com, ns2.theirdomain.com, etc.
For that you will need to A records set for ns1.theirdomain.com to point your server IP. Same entries must be present at domain registrar end.

Hello,

Yes it is possible reseller decides to use their own private name servers: ns1.theirdomain.com, ns2.theirdomain.com, etc.
For that you will need to A records set for ns1.theirdomain.com to point your server IP. Same entries must be present at domain registrar end.

Thanks again! Based on your experience with it and all the requirements I said so far, who is your choice for external DNS?

Sorry winman,

but I don't promote external ( non Parallels ) products and services and each of them has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's a bit like tea and coffee... what do YOU like most? In fact, the best service and product might be right on the next corner, please compair it with your needs and the costs and choose then, which service or product you like most. :)

Hello,

We can not recomanded anyone as everyone has it's plus and minuses. But I can guarantee that you can use external once as you want.

Thanks 24x7serversupports. I understand that nobody can recommend any particular provider that too on a public forum. My bad for asking that question. According to Plesk documentation I think I have only 3 choices to choose from (Go Daddy Preminum DNS, Amazon route 53 and somebody else) - I will do my research and decide on one. Thanks again for the confirmation and I am glad to know that using an external DNS provider will work flawlessly for my DNS requirements.

Sorry - After I posted the above message I started doing some Google research on Amazon Route 53 service and came across the following threads where it says that they don't support vanity name servers?!?! One of the threads is as recent as Aug 2014. So, did something change in the last couple months where they started to offer vanity name servers support (which is also supported by Plesk)?

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=563597

http://serverfault.com/questions/494694/dns-mask-for-route53-crazy-delegation-set

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=116637

Back