• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Fail2ban blocks hosting server IP

Franco

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

after years of service I got a weird issue whereby fail2ban bans its server Public IP, similar to this case https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...-after-enabling-nginx-on-server-with-fail2ban
It was solved by adding the servwer public IP in the fail2ban whitelist, as suggested there.

Looking further I see that the jail is [plesk-apache-badbot], which checks access log files. AFAIK, I only had one service stopped as a result, probably because in general I use php-fpm/nginx and just apache for that one.

How can this happen and shall I be worried about bad bots running on my server? Where shall I look, please?
My config is CentOs7 with Onyx latest MU.

Best regards

Hi Franco,

... and shall I be worried about bad bots running on my server?
No.

How can this happen
This is an absolute "normal" behaviour, when you use nginx+php-fpm on your server - nothing to worry about and nothing which you can avoid, due to the fact that the upstream uses your server-IP(s) and not "localhost". The official Fail2Ban documentation suggest as well to whitelist "localhost" and your server IP(s), in order to avoid the ban of your own IPs.

Many thanks, it's all clear now.
I just want to add that in the access files the only thing I see connected to the server public IP are wp-cron calls.

Thank you for the useful information, I think I found a solution to my problem here. But I think I should change my server provider because I have some problems that interfere with my video games (because of bad server hosting quality). I earn money testing various video games so I need a quality hosting server that works without any problems. Guys from another forum advised this one ggservers.com, I wonder what you have to say about it? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:
Back