• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FasterCGI with HHVM any thoughts anyone?

It can be made to work... but sooo much hassle.. Just save yourself a lot of grief and swap to ubuntu

@Everyone,

Try to benchmark hhvm against php7.0 and you would be surprised: hhvm is somewhat more performant, but only when running specific code/software.

However, I did not experience any significant outperformance, when tweaking php 7.0 a bit and/or adding a proper configured Nginx.

More important, there are some issues with hhvm (they call it "minor incompatibilities") and these issues are quite severe for day-to-day hosting.

In my humble opinion, it is not worth the effort and I personally believe that there is no future for hhvm in Plesk, for the reasons below:

- any WordPress site should be using PHP7 (and nothing else),
- any Apache + Nginx, i.e. the default package in Plesk, can do better than hhvm,
- specific tweaks of Nginx are more easy and often do result in an Apache + Nginx stack, that outperforms hhvm,
- we are NOT FACEBOOK.

Regards...

PS Note that I personally think that the whole hhvm concept is a good idea, but it is just the same as Google´s Big Table: not necessary for the normal hosting provider and aiming too much on the specific needs of the (big) company behind the code. In the end, an alternative (often open source) will compete with these types of unique software. I certainly hope that the same scenario will apply to hhvm, let´s hope that an open-source alternative will soon be on the market.

Back