• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Features for the next versions

bwmatrix,

The main problems with providing Windows hosting is the costs. A FreeBSD server can be installed for free, apache, qmail, mysql all for free. This is something alot of people take for granted when they move to Windows!

Support for another FTP server would be good, I have seen some free windows ones in the past which may have SSL support.

The ME Pro webmail is very nice, but I also like horde as most people find it easy to use and its familiar to previous users of it.

I think something like MRTG would be a bit over the top, we use cacti (www.raxnet.net) to do bandwidth graphing. The only use I could see would be for within Expand to show the bandwidth/CPU/disk usage of the servers.

Greetings Paul,

I am well aware of the additional costs of providing windows [but in reality this cost does exist with Linux as well, depending on what extra software you purchase for services you want to offer or enhance your servers with -- not everything for Linux is free or open source]. I also didnt say this was my first time with windows, however, it is my first time with Plesk :)

If you compare the cost of ownership to say Plesk vs. cPanel, Plesk is by far the better deal (for the features packed with it -- in my opinion), whether you purchase the license outright, or purchase a month to month agreement.

I haven't a clue how many windows licenses SW-Soft has out there for Plesk, but I am willing to bet that if they have alot, they could work deals with other software companies to get Admins such as ourselves better deals on the software if it is indeed included as part of the overall package itself, or as an add-on -- kind of like they are doing with the Anti-Virus product they will be including.

Extra stuff like this doesnt even have to be included as part of the core package itself, it could be included as additional "Add-ons" for a slightly higher monthly license fee, or such. Knowing that these products could be easily integrated into Plesk, if an Admin chooses to integrate them, in my opinion would make it a better overall package if the options exist.

As far as the additional features I originally outlined, I am not asking for much, as most is part of, or can be programmed into Plesk (such as windows media, auto stable updates, and some other control panel mods that would make it easier to modify certain features and functionality) without probably any additional cost. The only added features from 3rd parties I mentioned was possibly MailEnable Pro, Zend WinEnabler [depending on which php version we might choose to run], and a SSL FTP program.

I am well aware that not every might opt for every possible option that might be included, but knowing the option does exist, and that it is easily integrated, would make administrating the server an easier task when you want to add additional features. :)

Spam maintnence at the domain level

It would be nice to see the ability to do spam maintnence at the domain level. Serverwide SpamAssassin makes it impossible to customize for each client. I like the idea of merak support because it has this feature built in.

Originally posted by PaulC
MattR - I agree, great work JT :D

SupermanInNY - It should be possible to setup a subdomain as a normal domain name with a validity period, thats how it has been done in previous versions.

Hi Paul,

I now have the Plesk 7 installed, and while I have the option indeed to have each user own a subdomain with an expiration date.. that's when each subdomain is a domain on its own, meaning, a registered user with a domain that has something.domain.com as the domain itself.

I don't see that happening for example.com where I create a subdomain within It and have an expiration date to that subdomain under a regular account.

If I understand you correctly, your proposed way would mean that a 100 Domain license will run out on 100 subdomains.

It might be offered then only under the Unlimited domains license so that Plesk doesn't get hurt on such an offering, but without it,. I don't see a Validity date in a regular Subdomain.
The Validity dates are for the domains, not subdomains.

I only see these options available for a subdomain. Perhaps I'm missing something:

Subdomain * _______ .mydomainname.net
FTP user
Use the same FTP user as that of the main domain
Create a separate FTP user account for this subdomain
FTP Login *
Old password ******
Password
Confirm Password
Hard disk quota
MB Unlimited

Microsoft ASP support
Microsoft ASP.NET support
SSI support
PHP support
CGI support
Perl support
Python support (Component was not installed)
ColdFusion support (Component was not installed)
Enable bandwidth throttling
Maximum network use (KB/S) *
Enable connections limiting
Connections limited to *
* Required fields

-Alon.

Give us some kind of viewable metabase that doesnt use the GUI. Something along the lines of the IIS 6 XML metabase would be really nice. From MS DNS, MailEnable, and IIS6 I manually deleted some stuff refering to a domain that I was trying to repair and now the damn thing is stuck in Plesk. I've got a feeling I'm going to have to uninstall this soon and try again since I can't find the underlying data that the GUI is pulling from.

A second suggestion would be a migration tool for people that install Plesk on currently running boxes.

Justin

And another suggestion. The documentation could be more informative. For each major subsystem affected when domains are added (webserver, mail, dns) tell us what exactly is being added to the respective application. Since the Plesk DNS didnt appear to be working I was bouncing between the GUI and IIS 6 to see what had happened and why I couldnt bring up my sites.

Justin

SupermanInNY - If you re-read what you quoted me on, it does say that you would have to set them up as normal domain names ;)

Originally posted by PaulC
SupermanInNY - If you re-read what you quoted me on, it does say that you would have to set them up as normal domain names ;)

Who said I have an A in reading comprehension?? :D :D

You are right. Mea Culpa.

Is there a way to Upload 300 accounts at once?

I have 300 students each will need their own domain accounts with validity dates and the package of choice.

Is there a way to upload and process a spreadsheet of some sort or some other delimited file for an auto process of 300 accounts?

-Alon.

It would be nice 2 have a directory <db> (like the cgi-bin dir)
which can be used 2 store (access) databases.

This cannot be done in the httpdocs directory since that way
visitors can download the database, so now the cgi-bin is used 4 it.

Just my 2 cents,

Pete

I would like to have the option to be able to uninstall plesk, and actually have plesk CLEAR ALL TRACES of itself off of the machine it's being uninstalled on...

That way, reinstallation of plesk, or a new version install doesn't run into problems. I ran into countless problems when trying to get plesk 7 to work off of a 6.5 box.

~Garrett

Here's one for ya:

I myself and I've seen others in this and other forums have a Permissions problem for sites.

This can occur due to mistakes on our part, or for whatever reason, and If you don't know what to modify for ownership, permssions and security settings for each directory in each account,.. you could easily mess things up!

I would like to see a two buttons option:

1. Fix all permissions, owners and rights - this will do a recursive step-into each directory under the c:\interpub\ and fix all the permissions, ownership and inheritance rules there.

2. Fix permissions to a specific site - with an option to select the site from the list of sites.

A third Button would be nice to have to 'Bring all the IIS configs to thier defaults' - This would then do a recursive round at all the site's configurations and modify them accordingly. (for instance,.. add index.php to all sites as a possible default file).

-Alon.

my web hosting company has plesk 7 for windows installed, and i'm amazed that i'm not able to configure the default document order in plesk. i'd suggest this feature be added!

Originally posted by ryanjeffrey
my web hosting company has plesk 7 for windows installed, and i'm amazed that i'm not able to configure the default document order in plesk. i'd suggest this feature be added!

JFYI - You can change the default order for newly created sites by modifying the following registry setting:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config\IIsDefaultDoc

Originally posted by peter
It would be nice 2 have a directory <db> (like the cgi-bin dir)
which can be used 2 store (access) databases.

This cannot be done in the httpdocs directory since that way
visitors can download the database, so now the cgi-bin is used 4 it.

We do have /private directory in Plesk 7 with a bit wider purpose though. You can create /private/db subdir to make it more structured.

Originally posted by jaytee
JFYI - You can change the default order for newly created sites by modifying the following registry setting:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config\IIsDefaultDoc

again, i am a customer of a web hosting company that is running plesk 7 for windows. i understand that THEY can control the default document order. i want to be able to control it MYSELF, for my sites, through the plesk interface.

Originally posted by ryanjeffrey
again, i am a customer of a web hosting company that is running plesk 7 for windows. i understand that THEY can control the default document order. i want to be able to control it MYSELF, for my sites, through the plesk interface.

Sure, we probably will be adding this to the next version, I just wanted to make this info available on the forum. Ask your hosting provider - may be they will be able to accomodate your request globally.

This is the placeholder for domainDomain.com . If you see this page after uploading site content you probably have not replaced the index.html file.

This page has been automatically generated by Plesk.

Maybe page much nice with graphics!
That's will be nice.

I'd like to see alot more participation in these forums from
SW-Soft support staff.

In my opinion, one of the biggest additions would be to allow Plesk to runon the standard SSL port by assigning its own IP address, or at least being able to specify a port such as 8080 that is generally allowed through most proxies.

It is very frustrating not to be able to access plesk from work due to being blocked by a proxy. I know that it is possible to allow port 8443 to go through the proxy, but most of us in these situations, do not have the ability to control this.

Back