• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved file_put_contents() permission denied in extension

jimlongo56

Basic Pleskian
In my extension I'm trying to open and write to a file on the server.

I have the absolute path to the file ($filepath) and when I run

Code:
$contents = @file_get_contents($filepath) ?: ''; 
$s = 'some string';
$file_put_contents($contents, $s);

I get the following errors

Code:
PHP Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis/.htaccess): failed to open stream: Permission denied
Line: 95
File: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/tcs-adpro/controllers/ClientController.php
Stack Trace:
#0  Smb_Exception_Syntax::handleError(2, file_put_contents(/var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis/.htaccess): failed to open stream: Permission denied, /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/tcs-adpro/controllers/ClientController.php, 95, Array ([domain] => art.janis.com,[webroot] => /var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis,[htaccess_file] => /var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis/.htaccess,[htaccess_contents] => ,[htaccess_start_comment] => # BEGIN comment, do not edit,[htaccess_end_comment] => # END comment, do not edit,[jsCode] => somerandomstring,[s] => # BEGIN comment, do not edit
AddOutputFilterByType SUBSTITUTE text/html
Substitute "somerandomstring|ni"
# END, do not edit,[php_errormsg] => file_get_contents(/var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis/.htaccess): failed to open stream: No such file or directory))
#1  file_put_contents(/var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis/.htaccess, # BEGIN comment, do not edit
AddOutputFilterByType SUBSTITUTE text/html
Substitute "somerandomstring|ni"
# END comment, do not edit) called at [/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/tcs-adpro/controllers/ClientController.php:95]
#2  ClientController->htaccess_creator(art.janis.com, /var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis) called at [/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/tcs-adpro/controllers/ClientController.php:62]
#3  ClientController->indexAction() called at [/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/vendor/plesk/zendframework/library/Zend/Controller/Action.php:516]
#4  Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(indexAction) called at [/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/vendor/plesk/zendframework/library/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php:308]
#5  Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Zend_Controller_Request_Http Object ([*_paramSources] => Array ([0] => _GET,[1] => _POST),[*_requestUri] => /modules/tcs-adpro/index.php/client/index?dom_id=28&site_id=31,[*_baseUrl] => /modules/tcs-adpro/index.php,[*_basePath] => ,[*_pathInfo] => /client/index,[*_params] => Array ([controller] => client,[action] => index,[module] => tcs-adpro),[*_rawBody] => ,[*_aliases] => Array (),[*_dispatched] => 1,[*_module] => tcs-adpro,[*_moduleKey] => module,[*_controller] => client,[*_controllerKey] => controller,[*_action] => index,[*_actionKey] => action), Zend_Controller_Response_Http Object ([*_body] => Array (),[*_exceptions] => Array (),[*_headers] => Array (),[*_headersRaw] => Array (),[*_httpResponseCode] => 200,[*_isRedirect] => ,[*_renderExceptions] => ,[headersSentThrowsException] => 1)) called at [/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/vendor/plesk/zendframework/library/Zend/Controller/Front.php:954]
#6  Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() called at [/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/pm/Application.php:99]
#7  pm_Application->run() called at [/usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/modules/tcs-adpro/index.php:11]

I have run
Code:
$ plesk repair installation -y -v
$ plesk repair all -y -v

I have checked that su_exec is enabled in Apache

Last edited:
What are the permissions of that .htaccess file?
# ll /var/www/vhosts/jim.com/art.janis/.htaccess

Thanks Peter for your question.

I've been advised by Support not to use the native functions, but instead to use pm_FileManager()

Code:
        $fileManager = new pm_FileManager($domainId);
        $contents = $fileManager->fileGetContents($file);
        // do something with $contents
        $fileManager->filePutContents($file, $newContent);

Extensions API Documentation - Plesk 17.5
Extensions API Documentation - Plesk 17.5

Not clear to me what fileGetContents() returns if the file is not there, may need to check if fileExists() first.
Also not clear if filePutContents() creates a file if none exists yet (native file_put_contents() does this).

This seems to cover the bases,

Is there a file
If not create it
Get the contents
Put the new contents

Code:
        $fileManager = new pm_FileManager($domainId);
        if(!$fileManager->fileExists($file)){
            $fileManager->touch($file);
        }
        $contents = $fileManager->fileGetContents($file);

// do some manipulation of the $contents