• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Finally

S

sieb@

Finally, real forums! First post! :D

I have a suggestion, use the real Bind config files so I can make it work in a DMZ, or give the option to make bind use port 53.

Dug up from google:

BIND 8.1 will *not* use port 53 for UDP queries by default, thus the
responses are probably blocked by your firewall. You can get the old
behavior with

options {
query-source address * port 53;
};

This options is missing in the config with 6.5 though, actually, most of the config is missing. I haven't tried adding it yet to see if it works or not.

Don't install the Windows DNS

Here's just a tip.

When installing your Windows box, Don't install the Windows DNS system.
If you do, Plesk will install perfectly.
However, your DNS system will not work as it should. Because Plesk installs BIND and does not warn you for the Windows DNS already been installed.

To correct this problem: just uninstall the Windows DNS and BIND will perfectly take over everything.

So my suggestion: Plesk installer should detect the running Windows DNS system and shut it down.

Good tip. But thats just why I was stumbling around because there is only a simple statement saying you should install on a "clean" system. Excuse me?!... Now what does that mean? To the developer it could be one thing and to the end user another.

This is what I'd like to see. A clear A-Z of what a clean system represents. Example being... "Install ABC .... do not install XYZ" Which ports are necessary for operation. I know I know its like spoon feeding a baby but thats where I'm at and so are a lot of others who wish to delegate authority to somone with even less experience. I'll power up the server for another stab at this because its been off now since I gave up.

Back